The first state to ratify the U.S. Constitution, Delaware is a state that was not only instrumental in the founding of our country, but where people respect law and order. People who try to escape justice in Delaware are hunted down by dedicated and licensed bail enforcement agents who are more informally known as bounty hunters. If you are interested in getting licensed as a Delaware bail enforcement agent, read over the requirements to get and maintain your license to bring bail jumpers to justice.
Find schools and get information on the program that’s
right for you.
(It’s fast and free!)
Becoming a Bounty Hunter in Delaware
In Delaware, bounty hunters are regulated by the state’s Department of Safety and Homeland Security. There are few laws surrounding what it takes to be a bounty hunter in the state, but there are certainly prerequisites that must be met for licensure.
Basic State Requirements
- Education: A bail enforcement training course is required to provide arrest, search and seizure skills and knowledge.
- Age: You have to be at minimum 21 years old.
- Degree: While no degree is required, many pursue higher education for professional development.
- Experience: Experience is helpful in building clientele, but not necessary for licensure.
- Background Screening: This is essential to demonstrate that you do not have any felony convictions in your background, or any misdemeanors that involved violence, drugs or theft.
- Additional Training: An additional 40 hours of training is required for those agents wishing to use handcuffs, mace or weaponry (including batons or firearms).
Application Process in Delaware
- License Application: Your license application must include proof of training, any related firearms or other certifications, and a $75 licensing fee.
- Licensure: Your license lasts for four years, at which point you must complete an 8-hour course to become recertified, as well as submitting an application for renewal.
Degrees related to Bounty Hunters
Degrees related to bail enforcement agents include psychology, criminal justice, law enforcement, police procedures, business, finance, economics, and sociology.
Major Cities in Delaware
The cities in Delaware where bail enforcement agents can often be found include Wilmington, Newark, Rehoboth Beach, Dover, Lewes and New Castle, among others.
Specific Duties of Bounty Hunters in Delaware
Bounty hunters work within the law and in close conjunction with local law enforcement to track down, arrest and return for trial those people who skip bail, or fail to appear for trial after a bonds company has put up the money for them to be released. They must carefully obey all laws and regulations and keep in close contact with local police.
There are a number of careers that are related in skills and knowledge to bail enforcement agents. These include the bail bondsmen with whom they work, private investigations, and court process servers.
Employment Numbers in Delaware
While the Bureau of Labor Statistics doesn’t track bounty hunter numbers and salaries, a close approximation can be found by examining the numbers for private detectives, who are expected to see an increase of over 8 percent from where they were in 2012, by the year 2022.
Salary Ranges in Delaware
Bounty hunters in Delaware usually make around $50,000 to $53,000 annually.
Education Programs for Bounty Hunters in Delaware
- Criminal Justice - Bachelor
- M.S. in Criminal Justice: Law Enforcement
- Criminal Justice, MA
- Homeland Security, MA
- DEM - Emergency Management
- BS - Criminal Justice
- B.S. in Criminal Justice
- B.S. in Human Services / Criminal Justice
- B.S. in Criminal Justice / Law Enforcement
- A.S. in Criminal Justice
- B.S. in Emergency Management & Homeland Security
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice – Public Administration
- Online Teaching in Higher Education
- Doctor of Business Administration (DBA) - Homeland Security
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Emergency Management
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Global Leadership
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Homeland Security Policy and Coordination
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Law and Public Policy
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Public Management and Leadership
- Master of Science (M.S.) in Criminal Justice - Homeland Security Policy and Coordination
- Master of Science (M.S.) in Criminal Justice - Law and Public Policy
- Master of Science (M.S.) in Criminal Justice - Policy Analysis
- Master of Science (M.S.) in Criminal Justice - Terrorism, Mediation, and Peace
- Master of Science (M.S.) in Criminal Justice - Emergency Management
- MS in Criminal Justice - Global Leadership
- DBA - Criminal Justice
- DBA - Homeland Security: Leadership & Policy
- MBA - Criminal Justice
- MBA - Homeland Security
- B.S. Criminal Justice
- B.S. International Relations and Security - Cybersecurity
- B.S. International Relations and Security - Global Security
- A.S. Criminal Justice
- Master of Science in Information Assurance
- MS in Criminology
- BS in Criminology
- Graduate Certificate in Information Assurance and Cyber Security
- Master of Science in Criminology - Cybercrime and Terrorism Focus
- Master of Science in Criminology - Human Behavior Focus
- Master of Science in Criminology - Leadership Focus
- Master of Science in Information Assurance - Cybersecurity Specialization
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice
- MS in Computer Science - Cyber Security
- BS in Cybersecurity - Information Assurance
- BS in Cybersecurity - Cybercrime and Fraud Investigation
- BS in Cybersecurity - Network Forensics and Intrusion Investigation
- BS in Cybersecurity - Cyber Operations
- Masters in Financial Crime and Compliance Management
- MBA Economic Crime and Fraud Management
- MS Cybersecurity - Intelligence
- MS Cybersecurity - Computer Forensics
- MS Cybersecurity - Cyber Operations
- Bachelor of Science in Cybersecurity
- Bachelor of Science in Fraud and Financial Crime Investigation
- BS in Criminal Justice - Cyber Criminology and Policy
- Computer Forensics Certificate
- Cyber Crime and Fraud Investigation Certificate
- Cyber Network Defense Certificate
- Cyber Operations Certificate
- Cyber Policy Certificate
- Cybersecurity Technologies Certificate
- Financial Crime and Compliance Operations Certificate
- Financial Crime Investigation Certificate
- Master of Professional Studies in Cyber Policy and Risk Analysis
- MBA - Cyber Policy
- MBA - Cybersecurity
- Monitoring, Surveillance, and Intelligence Operations Certificate
- MS in Cybersecurity - Electronic Crime
- MS in Cybersecurity - Malware Analysis
- MS in Data Science: Cybersecurity
- MS in Data Science: Financial Crime
- Online Bachelor of Science in Fraud and Financial Crime Investigation - Financial Investigation
- Online Bachelor of Science in Fraud and Financial Crime Investigation - Fraud Prevention and Detection
- Online Master of Science in Cybersecurity
- Master of Science Criminal Justice Critical Incident Mgt
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice - Corrections
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice - Criminal Investigation
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice - Forensic Science
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice - Legal Studies
- AA in Criminal Justice
- BA in Criminal Justice
- BA in Criminal Justice - Criminalistics Specialization
- BA in Criminal Justice - Homeland Security Specialization
- BS - Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement Administration
- Master - Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement Administration
- CTU - Criminal Forensics