Indiana is perhaps most famous for the Indianapolis 500, one of the world’s most prestigious auto races. However, Indiana is also known for its hardworking people and fruitful farm land. Anyone looking for a career in Indiana may be considering bounty hunting, which is a legal profession in this state.
Find schools and get information on the program that’s
right for you.
(It’s fast and free!)
Becoming a Bounty Hunter
Becoming a bounty hunter in Indiana isn’t as difficult as you might think. The only thing that is required is that you comply with a few basic regulations.
- Education: No degree is required to work as an Indiana bounty hunter. However, you will need to complete pre-licensing education totaling twelve hours.
- Age: You must be 18 or older to work as a bounty hunter in Indiana
- Citizenship: There are no specific citizenship requirements for this career in Indiana.
- Experience: No experience is necessary.
- Criminality: You can have no misdemeanor convictions in the past five years or felony convictions in the past ten years.
- Examination: An exam is required to become an Indiana bounty hunter. It is scheduled online and costs $100. You may take the exam as many times as necessary to receive a passing grade.
- Background Check: You will need to undergo a check of your criminal history before a license will be granted.
Receiving Your License
Indiana bounty hunting licenses are granted by the Indiana Licensing Agency. If you meet the basic requirements, you will submit your application to the department, along with all other necessary documents. Documents to provide with your application include your exam score, a credit report, a photograph that shows your face and a fingerprint card. You also must provide copies of other professional licenses you hold. The application costs $300.
After receiving your license, you will have to renew it every year. For a renewal, you need to pay a $300 fee, finish six hours of continuing education and submit a new photograph.
Degrees in Bounty Hunting
While Indiana does not require a degree to work as a bounty hunter, there are educational paths which will aid in your career. For example, many prospective bounty hunters choose to complete a two-year criminal justice degree. Any degree related to the criminal justice system will aid your career.
Indiana’s Major Cities
The first ever professional baseball game took place in Fort Wayne. Indiana was the birthplace of many notable celebrities, including David Letterman and James Deen. If you’re interested in tourist attractions, then you might want to visit Parke County, which is the Covered Bridge Capital of the World.
Careers That Are Like Bounty Hunting
The two careers that are most similar to bounty hunting are private investigation and process serving. In fact, many bounty hunters choose to also work in the fields to supplement their income. Bounty hunting holds certain similarities to almost every career in criminal justice.
The Bureau of Labor Statistics does not collect information related to bounty hunting. However, it does keep records for private investigators, which is a similar profession. As of 2015, there were 210 private investigators working in Indiana. Prospects for bounty hunters should be fairly close to this number.
The average annual salary for a private investigator in Indiana in 2015 was $52,840. Bounty workers in the state will get paid at around the same amount.
Education Programs for Bounty Hunters in Indiana
- Criminal Justice - Bachelor
- Criminal Justice, MA
- Homeland Security, MA
- Criminal Justice, BA
- Homeland Security, AA
- Criminal Justice, AA
- Homeland Security, BA
- DEM - Emergency Management
- BS - Criminal Justice
- MS - Cybersecurity
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice – Public Administration
- JM: American Legal Studies
- JM: General
- JM: Health Law
- JM: International Legal Studies
- JM: Special Student (Non-Degree Seeking) - Legal Studies
- LLM: International Legal Studies
- MPA: Law & Public Policy
- MS: Criminal Justice
- MS: Criminal Justice: Forensic Psychology
- MS: Criminal Justice: Homeland Security
- Online Teaching in Higher Education
- Doctor of Business Administration (DBA) - Homeland Security
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Emergency Management
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Global Leadership
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Homeland Security Policy and Coordination
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Law and Public Policy
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Public Management and Leadership
- DBA - Criminal Justice
- DBA - Homeland Security: Leadership & Policy
- MBA - Criminal Justice
- MBA - Homeland Security
- MS in Criminal Justice
- MS in Criminal Justice: Advanced Counterterrorism & Homeland Security concentration
- MS in Criminal Justice: Public Safety Administration concentration
- Associate in Science Criminal Justice
- Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice
- Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice with concentration in Criminology
- Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice with concentration in Homeland Secu
- Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice with concentration in Legal Studies
- Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice with concentration in Police Admini
- BS Criminal Justice w/conc Human Services
- BS Criminal Justice w/conc in Corrections
- Master of Science in Information Assurance
- MS in Criminology
- BS in Criminology
- Graduate Certificate in Information Assurance and Cyber Security
- Master of Science in Criminology - Cybercrime and Terrorism Focus
- Master of Science in Criminology - Human Behavior Focus
- Master of Science in Criminology - Leadership Focus
- Master of Science in Information Assurance - Cybersecurity Specialization
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice
- MS in Computer Science - Cyber Security
- BS in Cybersecurity - Information Assurance
- BS in Cybersecurity - Cybercrime and Fraud Investigation
- BS in Cybersecurity - Network Forensics and Intrusion Investigation
- BS in Cybersecurity - Cyber Operations
- Masters in Financial Crime and Compliance Management
- MBA Economic Crime and Fraud Management
- MS Cybersecurity - Intelligence
- MS Cybersecurity - Computer Forensics
- MS Cybersecurity - Cyber Operations
- Bachelor of Science in Cybersecurity
- Bachelor of Science in Fraud and Financial Crime Investigation
- BS in Criminal Justice - Cyber Criminology and Policy
- Computer Forensics Certificate
- Cyber Crime and Fraud Investigation Certificate
- Cyber Network Defense Certificate
- Cyber Operations Certificate
- Cyber Policy Certificate
- Cybersecurity Technologies Certificate
- Financial Crime and Compliance Operations Certificate
- Financial Crime Investigation Certificate
- Master of Professional Studies in Cyber Policy and Risk Analysis
- MBA - Cyber Policy
- MBA - Cybersecurity
- Monitoring, Surveillance, and Intelligence Operations Certificate
- MS in Cybersecurity - Electronic Crime
- MS in Cybersecurity - Malware Analysis
- MS in Data Science: Cybersecurity
- MS in Data Science: Financial Crime
- Online Bachelor of Science in Fraud and Financial Crime Investigation - Financial Investigation
- Online Bachelor of Science in Fraud and Financial Crime Investigation - Fraud Prevention and Detection
- Online Master of Science in Cybersecurity
- BS in Criminal Justice - General
- BS in Criminal Justice - Homeland Security
- BS in Criminal Justice - Legal Issues in Criminal Justice
- BS in Criminal Justice - Public Policy and Leadership
- BS in Criminal Justice - White Collar Crime
- BS in Criminal Intelligence Analysis
- BS - Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement Administration
- Master - Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement Administration
- CTU - Criminal Forensics