Located on the Gulf of Mexico, Louisiana is home to nearly five million citizens. Louisiana is a state with a long and rich history, as well as many fruitful careers. One such career that many citizens of Louisiana pursue is bounty hunting. However, to become a bounty hunter in Louisiana, you must meet certain qualifications.
Find schools and get information on the program that’s
right for you.
(It’s fast and free!)
Becoming a Bounty Hunter
- Education: To become a Louisiana bounty hunter, you must complete an apprentice program, which requires you to work with a bail bond producer for 24 hours a week for three months. You will also be required to complete a pre-licensing course that takes eight hours and costs $325.
- Age: You must be at least 18 years-old before applying to become a bounty hunter.
- Citizenship: You have to be a legal alien or a US citizen to work as a bounty hunter in Louisiana.
- Experience: You do not need experience to apply for a bounty hunter license.
- Criminal Record: Your criminal record must be free of felony convictions.
- Passing the Exam: Applicants must take and pass the Bail Bond Series 108 exam. You will need to receive a grade over 70%. The cost is $15 and can be taken an unlimited amount of times.
Other Steps for Receiving Your License
Your application to become a Louisiana bounty hunter will be submitted with the Louisiana Department of Insurance. After you’ve submitted your application, passed a background checked and received a passing grade in your examination, you will receive your bounty hunting license.
After receiving your license, you will need to periodically renew it. This must be done by January 1st on odd-numbered years. A license will only be renewed after completing 12 hours of continuing education, four of which have to be focused on bail enforcement.
Education for Bounty Hunting
If you are considering a career as a bounty hunter, it’s a good idea to pursue education in areas related to the career. A two or four-year degree in criminal justice can help prepare you for many areas related to bounty hunting, including proper investigative techniques and the complexities of the justice system.
Careers Related to Bounty Hunting
Many Louisiana bounty hunters choose to work in other related professions. Process servers, for example, perform many of the same duties as bounty hunters. Another career that is similar to bounty hunting is working as a private investigator. Louisiana has several rules to become a private investigator, which you can find with the Louisiana State Board of Private Investigators.
Cities in Louisiana
The most celebrated and well-known city in Louisiana is New Orleans, which is home to the annual Mardi Gras celebration. Another Louisiana city, Baton Rouge, is home to LSU, the state’s largest university. Louisiana is the only state in the country without county.
What Bounty Hunters Do
The main responsibility of a bounty hunter is to find criminals that have skipped their bond. This requires using investigative skills and understanding the criminal justice system.
Job Openings for Bounty Hunters
Although the Bureau of Labor Statistics does not gather information about bounty hunting as a profession, examining their statistics for private investigators can give you an idea of this career prospect. In 2015, there were 380 private investigators working in Louisiana. This number is expected to grow at a rate of 14.8% leading up to 2022.
Bounty Hunter Payment
The yearly salary for a private investigator in Louisiana was $40,940 as of 2015. If you enter the profession of bounty hunting, you should receive a salary similar to that of a private investigator.
Education Programs for Bounty Hunters in Louisiana
- Criminal Justice - Bachelor
- Criminal Justice, MA
- Homeland Security, MA
- Criminal Justice, BA
- Homeland Security, AA
- Criminal Justice, AA
- Homeland Security, BA
- DEM - Emergency Management
- BS - Criminal Justice
- MS - Cybersecurity
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice – Public Administration
- JM: American Legal Studies
- JM: General
- JM: Health Law
- JM: International Legal Studies
- JM: Special Student (Non-Degree Seeking) - Legal Studies
- LLM: International Legal Studies
- MPA: Law & Public Policy
- MS: Criminal Justice
- MS: Criminal Justice: Forensic Psychology
- MS: Criminal Justice: Homeland Security
- Online Teaching in Higher Education
- Doctor of Business Administration (DBA) - Homeland Security
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Emergency Management
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Global Leadership
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Homeland Security Policy and Coordination
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Law and Public Policy
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Public Management and Leadership
- DBA - Criminal Justice
- DBA - Homeland Security: Leadership & Policy
- MBA - Criminal Justice
- MBA - Homeland Security
- MS in Criminal Justice
- MS in Criminal Justice: Advanced Counterterrorism & Homeland Security concentration
- MS in Criminal Justice: Public Safety Administration concentration
- Associate in Science Criminal Justice
- Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice
- Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice with concentration in Criminology
- Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice with concentration in Homeland Secu
- Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice with concentration in Legal Studies
- Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice with concentration in Police Admini
- BS Criminal Justice w/conc Human Services
- BS Criminal Justice w/conc in Corrections
- Master of Science in Information Assurance
- MS in Criminology
- BS in Criminology
- Graduate Certificate in Information Assurance and Cyber Security
- Master of Science in Criminology - Cybercrime and Terrorism Focus
- Master of Science in Criminology - Human Behavior Focus
- Master of Science in Criminology - Leadership Focus
- Master of Science in Information Assurance - Cybersecurity Specialization
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice
- MS in Computer Science - Cyber Security
- BS in Cybersecurity - Information Assurance
- BS in Cybersecurity - Cybercrime and Fraud Investigation
- BS in Cybersecurity - Network Forensics and Intrusion Investigation
- BS in Cybersecurity - Cyber Operations
- Masters in Financial Crime and Compliance Management
- MBA Economic Crime and Fraud Management
- MS Cybersecurity - Intelligence
- MS Cybersecurity - Computer Forensics
- MS Cybersecurity - Cyber Operations
- Bachelor of Science in Cybersecurity
- Bachelor of Science in Fraud and Financial Crime Investigation
- BS in Criminal Justice - Cyber Criminology and Policy
- Computer Forensics Certificate
- Cyber Crime and Fraud Investigation Certificate
- Cyber Network Defense Certificate
- Cyber Operations Certificate
- Cyber Policy Certificate
- Cybersecurity Technologies Certificate
- Financial Crime and Compliance Operations Certificate
- Financial Crime Investigation Certificate
- Master of Professional Studies in Cyber Policy and Risk Analysis
- MBA - Cyber Policy
- MBA - Cybersecurity
- Monitoring, Surveillance, and Intelligence Operations Certificate
- MS in Cybersecurity - Electronic Crime
- MS in Cybersecurity - Malware Analysis
- MS in Data Science: Cybersecurity
- MS in Data Science: Financial Crime
- Online Bachelor of Science in Fraud and Financial Crime Investigation - Financial Investigation
- Online Bachelor of Science in Fraud and Financial Crime Investigation - Fraud Prevention and Detection
- Online Master of Science in Cybersecurity
- BS in Criminal Justice - General
- BS in Criminal Justice - Homeland Security
- BS in Criminal Justice - Legal Issues in Criminal Justice
- BS in Criminal Justice - Public Policy and Leadership
- BS in Criminal Justice - White Collar Crime
- BS in Criminal Intelligence Analysis
- BS - Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement Administration
- Master - Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement Administration
- CTU - Criminal Forensics