Mississippi is one of the great states in our Union. It was the first state to have a planned junior college system, the birthplace of the first nuclear submarine, and the state where the most advanced ships of the U.S. navy are currently constructed. When fugitives from justice are on the run in Mississippi, those that track them down and return them to face punishment are bounty hunters. Read all you need to know about becoming a bounty hunter in Mississippi.
Find schools and get information on the program that’s
right for you.
(It’s fast and free!)
Becoming a Bounty Hunter in Mississippi
Bounty Hunters in Mississippi are more properly called bail enforcement agents. They are licensed, regulated and overseen by the state’s insurance department.
Basic State Requirements
- Education: 40 hours of training through the Mississippi Bail Agents Association are required pre-licensing
- Age: Bail enforcement agents must be at least 21 years old.
- Degree: While not required, many agents seek a secondary degree in a field like law enforcement or criminal justice.
- Experience: Developing partnerships in law enforcement and bail bonding can only be built with time and experience.
- Citizenship: All bail enforcement agents must be legally eligible for employment in the U.S.
- Background Screening: Bail enforcement agents must submit to a background check to prove they have no convictions of crimes related to morality, or any felonies.
- Law enforcement agents, attorneys and judiciary officials cannot function as bounty hunters.
Application Process in Mississippi
- License Application: Your application form will include a $40 tax, a $50 application fee, a color photograph, fingerprinting and a recent, clear photograph.
- Licensure: The license is good for two years, and expires on September 30. 16 hours of continuing education are required for renewal, though the first year you are licensed, eight of these hours are waived, as your education is still considered current.
Degrees related to Bounty Hunters
Often, bounty hunters pursue related secondary degrees in fields like forensics, criminal psychology, public safety, criminal justice, sociology or law and government.
Major Cities in Mississippi
Major cities in Mississippi where bounty hunters may be a common sight include Jackson (the state capital), Gulfport, Tupelo, Hattiesburg and Biloxi.
Specific Duties of Bounty Hunters in Mississippi
Bounty hunters, at their most basic level, bring in fugitives from justice in exchange for a fee. Usually these are those who have skipped or jumped bail and failed to appear for a court hearing. They must abide by all laws regarding search and seizure and arrests, and work very closely with local law enforcement.
Careers related to bounty hunting include the bail bondsmen who hire them, private investigators who perform similar work and utilize similar skills, and process servers who handle court paperwork and notices.
Employment Numbers in Mississippi
Unfortunately, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics doesn’t track outlook and salary for bounty hunters. They do, however, track private investigators, a very similar career, and these numbers can give an insight into what you can expect from a career in bounty hunting. The career has already exceeded expectations that it would rise by at least 12.2% by the year 2022.
Salary Ranges in Mississippi
The expected salary (again, based on those of private detectives) averages around $33,600, but in areas like Biloxi it can be as high as a $42,650 annual average.
Education Programs for Bounty Hunters in Mississippi
- Criminal Justice - Bachelor
- M.S. in Criminal Justice: Law Enforcement
- Criminal Justice, MA
- Homeland Security, MA
- DEM - Emergency Management
- BS - Criminal Justice
- B.S. in Criminal Justice
- B.S. in Human Services / Criminal Justice
- B.S. in Criminal Justice / Law Enforcement
- A.S. in Criminal Justice
- B.S. in Emergency Management & Homeland Security
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice – Public Administration
- Online Teaching in Higher Education
- Doctor of Business Administration (DBA) - Homeland Security
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Emergency Management
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Global Leadership
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Homeland Security Policy and Coordination
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Law and Public Policy
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Public Management and Leadership
- Master of Science (M.S.) in Criminal Justice - Homeland Security Policy and Coordination
- Master of Science (M.S.) in Criminal Justice - Law and Public Policy
- Master of Science (M.S.) in Criminal Justice - Policy Analysis
- Master of Science (M.S.) in Criminal Justice - Terrorism, Mediation, and Peace
- Master of Science (M.S.) in Criminal Justice - Emergency Management
- MS in Criminal Justice - Global Leadership
- DBA - Criminal Justice
- DBA - Homeland Security: Leadership & Policy
- MBA - Criminal Justice
- MBA - Homeland Security
- MPA - Criminal Justice
- BSCJ – Law Enforcement
- BSCJ – Juvenile Justice
- BSCJ – Homeland Security
- BSCJ – Forensic Psychology
- BSCJ – Crime Scene Investigation
- BS in Criminal Justice
- MSCJ - Corrections
- MSCJ - Global Issues in Criminal Justice
- MSCJ - Law
- MSCJ - Leadership/Executive Management
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice
- Master of Science in Homeland Security and Emergency Management
- Bachelor of Science in Fire Science
- Associate of Applied Science in Criminal Justice and Criminology
- Associate of Applied Science in Public Safety and Security
- Associate of Applied Science in Fire Science
- Bachelor of Science in Fire and Emergency Management
- BS in Corrections
- A.S. Criminal Justice
- B.S. Criminal Justice
- B.S. International Relations and Security - Cybersecurity
- B.S. International Relations and Security - Global Security
- Master of Science in Information Assurance
- MS in Criminology
- BS in Criminology
- Graduate Certificate in Information Assurance and Cyber Security
- Master of Science in Criminology - Cybercrime and Terrorism Focus
- Master of Science in Criminology - Human Behavior Focus
- Master of Science in Criminology - Leadership Focus
- Master of Science in Information Assurance - Cybersecurity Specialization
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice
- MS in Computer Science - Cyber Security
- BS in Cybersecurity - Information Assurance
- BS in Cybersecurity - Cybercrime and Fraud Investigation
- BS in Cybersecurity - Network Forensics and Intrusion Investigation
- BS in Cybersecurity - Cyber Operations
- Masters in Financial Crime and Compliance Management
- MBA Economic Crime and Fraud Management
- MS Cybersecurity - Intelligence
- MS Cybersecurity - Computer Forensics
- MS Cybersecurity - Cyber Operations
- Bachelor of Science in Cybersecurity
- Bachelor of Science in Fraud and Financial Crime Investigation
- BS in Criminal Justice - Cyber Criminology and Policy
- Computer Forensics Certificate
- Cyber Crime and Fraud Investigation Certificate
- Cyber Network Defense Certificate
- Cyber Operations Certificate
- Cyber Policy Certificate
- Cybersecurity Technologies Certificate
- Financial Crime and Compliance Operations Certificate
- Financial Crime Investigation Certificate
- Master of Professional Studies in Cyber Policy and Risk Analysis
- MBA - Cyber Policy
- MBA - Cybersecurity
- Monitoring, Surveillance, and Intelligence Operations Certificate
- MS in Cybersecurity - Electronic Crime
- MS in Cybersecurity - Malware Analysis
- MS in Data Science: Cybersecurity
- MS in Data Science: Financial Crime
- Online Bachelor of Science in Fraud and Financial Crime Investigation - Financial Investigation
- Online Bachelor of Science in Fraud and Financial Crime Investigation - Fraud Prevention and Detection
- Online Master of Science in Cybersecurity
- Master of Science Criminal Justice Critical Incident Mgt
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice - Corrections
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice - Criminal Investigation
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice - Forensic Science
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice - Legal Studies
- AA in Criminal Justice
- BA in Criminal Justice
- BA in Criminal Justice - Criminalistics Specialization
- BA in Criminal Justice - Homeland Security Specialization
- BS - Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement Administration
- Master - Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement Administration
- CTU - Criminal Forensics