Known both as the Gateway to the West and the Home of the Blues, Missouri is the state where the first skydive from a moving plane was accomplished, and the state where the ice cream cone was invented. It’s a state of pride and work ethic, and when people try to get over on the system, there are men and women known as bounty hunters who track fugitives down and bring them to justice. This page will teach you everything you need to know to start a career as a Missouri Surety Recovery Agent.
Find schools and get information on the program that’s
right for you.
(It’s fast and free!)
Becoming a Bounty Hunter in Missouri
Bounty hunters—properly called “Surety Recovery Agents”—must meet strict licensing requirements under the supervision and administration of the state Department of Insurance.
Basic State Requirements
- Education: Bounty hunters must complete a 24-hour training from an authorized source; Missouri law forbids training courses to cost more than $200.
- Age: You need to be 21 years old.
- Degree: Possessing a GED or high school diploma is required.
- Experience: Experience isn’t required, but is helpful.
- Citizenship: You must possess U.S. Citizenship.
- Background Screening: Fingerprinting is required to prove you do not have any felony convictions on your record. This carries a $12 fee.
- Exam: The surety recovery agent exam contains 50 questions and carries a $41 fee. Passing with a score of 70% or better is required to qualify for licensure.
Application Process in Missouri
- License Application: Your application form must also include an original signed certificate from your training course, fingerprint and background check results (state and FBI), and a photocopy of a government ID or driver’s license. The application fee is $150.
- Licensure: Licenses are good for two years, and renewal requires eight hours of continuing education, plus a $150 fee.
Degrees related to Bounty Hunters
Secondary education degrees that are often pursued to enhance bounty hunter skills include forensics, criminal justice, criminal psychology, law and government and finance, among others.
Major Cities in Missouri
Major cities in which people seek employment as fugitive recovery agents include St. Louis, the capital of Jefferson City, Kansas City, Springfield, Columbia and Saint Charles.
Specific Duties of Bounty Hunters in Missouri
Bounty hunters track down fugitives from the law and return them to justice in exchange for a fee or posted reward. They are required to operate within the bounds of the law and must notify local law enforcement at least 24 hours before they make an arrest or forcible entry.
Other careers that are similar to bounty hunting include private investigations and court process servers.
Employment Numbers in Missouri
Employment outlook and salary for bounty hunters are not tracked by the U.S. BLS. However, the bureau does track the closely-related field of private investigators and these numbers give insight into bounty hunting as a career. It is expected that in the 10-year period between 2012 and 2022, the field will increase by around 9.4%.
Salary Ranges in Missouri
Salary figures for the related field of private investigators show that the average earnings in a year range between $47,100 in Kansas City to $56,870 in the Springdale area.
Education Programs for Bounty Hunters in Missouri
- Criminal Justice - Bachelor
- Homeland Security, BA
- Homeland Security, AA
- Criminal Justice, BA
- Criminal Justice, AA
- DEM - Emergency Management
- BS - Criminal Justice
- B.S. in Criminal Justice
- B.S. in Human Services / Criminal Justice
- B.S. in Criminal Justice / Law Enforcement
- A.S. in Criminal Justice
- B.S. in Emergency Management & Homeland Security
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice – Public Administration
- Online Teaching in Higher Education
- Doctor of Business Administration (DBA) - Homeland Security
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Emergency Management
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Global Leadership
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Homeland Security Policy and Coordination
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Law and Public Policy
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Public Management and Leadership
- Master of Science (M.S.) in Criminal Justice - Homeland Security Policy and Coordination
- Master of Science (M.S.) in Criminal Justice - Law and Public Policy
- Master of Science (M.S.) in Criminal Justice - Policy Analysis
- Master of Science (M.S.) in Criminal Justice - Terrorism, Mediation, and Peace
- Master of Science (M.S.) in Criminal Justice - Emergency Management
- MS in Criminal Justice - Global Leadership
- DBA - Criminal Justice
- DBA - Homeland Security: Leadership & Policy
- MBA - Criminal Justice
- MBA - Homeland Security
- MPA - Criminal Justice
- BSCJ – Law Enforcement
- BSCJ – Juvenile Justice
- BSCJ – Homeland Security
- BSCJ – Forensic Psychology
- BSCJ – Crime Scene Investigation
- BS in Criminal Justice
- MSCJ - Corrections
- MSCJ - Global Issues in Criminal Justice
- MSCJ - Law
- MSCJ - Leadership/Executive Management
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice
- Master of Science in Homeland Security and Emergency Management
- Bachelor of Science in Fire Science
- Associate of Applied Science in Criminal Justice and Criminology
- Associate of Applied Science in Public Safety and Security
- Associate of Applied Science in Fire Science
- Bachelor of Science in Fire and Emergency Management
- BS in Corrections
- A.S. Criminal Justice
- B.S. International Relations and Security - Cybersecurity
- B.S. International Relations and Security - Global Security
- B.S. Criminal Justice
- Master of Science in Information Assurance
- MS in Criminology
- BS in Criminology
- Graduate Certificate in Information Assurance and Cyber Security
- Master of Science in Criminology - Cybercrime and Terrorism Focus
- Master of Science in Criminology - Human Behavior Focus
- Master of Science in Criminology - Leadership Focus
- Master of Science in Information Assurance - Cybersecurity Specialization
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice
- MS in Computer Science - Cyber Security
- BS in Cybersecurity - Information Assurance
- BS in Cybersecurity - Cybercrime and Fraud Investigation
- BS in Cybersecurity - Network Forensics and Intrusion Investigation
- BS in Cybersecurity - Cyber Operations
- Masters in Financial Crime and Compliance Management
- MBA Economic Crime and Fraud Management
- MS Cybersecurity - Intelligence
- MS Cybersecurity - Computer Forensics
- MS Cybersecurity - Cyber Operations
- Bachelor of Science in Cybersecurity
- Bachelor of Science in Fraud and Financial Crime Investigation
- BS in Criminal Justice - Cyber Criminology and Policy
- Computer Forensics Certificate
- Cyber Crime and Fraud Investigation Certificate
- Cyber Network Defense Certificate
- Cyber Operations Certificate
- Cyber Policy Certificate
- Cybersecurity Technologies Certificate
- Financial Crime and Compliance Operations Certificate
- Financial Crime Investigation Certificate
- Master of Professional Studies in Cyber Policy and Risk Analysis
- MBA - Cyber Policy
- MBA - Cybersecurity
- Monitoring, Surveillance, and Intelligence Operations Certificate
- MS in Cybersecurity - Electronic Crime
- MS in Cybersecurity - Malware Analysis
- MS in Data Science: Cybersecurity
- MS in Data Science: Financial Crime
- Online Bachelor of Science in Fraud and Financial Crime Investigation - Financial Investigation
- Online Bachelor of Science in Fraud and Financial Crime Investigation - Fraud Prevention and Detection
- Online Master of Science in Cybersecurity
- Master of Science Criminal Justice Critical Incident Mgt
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice - Corrections
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice - Criminal Investigation
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice - Forensic Science
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice - Legal Studies
- AA in Criminal Justice
- BA in Criminal Justice
- BA in Criminal Justice - Criminalistics Specialization
- BA in Criminal Justice - Homeland Security Specialization
- BS - Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement Administration
- Master - Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement Administration
- CTU - Criminal Forensics