New Hampshire was the very first of the original colonies to declare independence at the beginning of the American Revolution. This occurred a full half a year before the colonies signed the Declaration of Independence. With such a strong spirit of rebellion and individuality, it’s inevitable that some people will take the wrong path. When fugitives from the law go on the run in New Hampshire, recovery agents—also known as bounty hunters—bring them in to face justice. Here you can learn about what it takes to become a bounty hunter in New Hampshire.
Find schools and get information on the program that’s
right for you.
(It’s fast and free!)
Becoming a Bounty Hunter in New Hampshire
Bounty hunters in New Hampshire are properly called recovery agents. Unlike other states, in New Hampshire, these people act in the name of the state to return fugitives to justice. As such, they must go through a rigorous process of training and registration.
Basic State Requirements
- Education: Bounty hunters in New Hampshire must have certification gained through training from the Professional Bail Agents of the US.
- Age: You have to be at least 18 to register as a recovery agent.
- Degree: No degree is necessary, but seeking education in a criminal justice-related field can be very helpful.
- Experience: Many bounty hunters seek mentorship with established recovery agents at first, to build their skills, experience and clientele.
- Citizenship: All bounty hunters must, at minimum, be eligible for employment in the U.S.
- Background Screening: There is no licensing for bounty hunters in New Hampshire, so no background screening is required. Still, it’s best to have a clean criminal record.
- Liability Insurance: All recovery agents must have, at minimum, $300,000 in liability insurance, either self-provided or by the bail agency for whom they work.
Application Process in New Hampshire
- Registration: Rather than licensing, recovery agents in the state are registered through the office of the Secretary of State of New Hampshire.
- Licensure: Registration is good for one year; renewal must be requested by December 31 each year, with proof of ongoing liability insurance coverage.
Degrees related to Bounty Hunters
Degrees that can help keep your skills at their best include criminal justice, law enforcement, law and government, criminal psychology, forensics, finance, and sociology.
Major Cities in New Hampshire
New Hampshire is a small state, but there are several major cities where bounty hunters can be found, including Manchester, Nashua, Portsmouth, and the state capital of Concord.
Specific Duties of Bounty Hunters in New Hampshire
Recovery agents perform skip tracing on behalf of the state. This means they arrest and return fugitives who have skipped on bail. They must notify and work with local law enforcement before performing their duties in a given area.
Bounty hunters use similar skills as private investigators, and many supplement their income working as process servers handling and serving legal documents for courts.
Employment Numbers in New Hampshire
The government doesn’t track outlook and prospects for bounty hunters, but using the numbers for private investigators provides a fairly accurate picture. The profession is expected to grow by over 12% by 2022.
Salary Ranges in New Hampshire
Again judging based on P.I. figures, recovery agents can expect to make on average $44,690 per year.
Education Programs for Bounty Hunters in New Hampshire
- Criminal Justice - Bachelor
- M.S. in Criminal Justice: Law Enforcement
- Criminal Justice, MA
- Homeland Security, MA
- DEM - Emergency Management
- BS - Criminal Justice
- B.S. in Criminal Justice
- B.S. in Human Services / Criminal Justice
- B.S. in Criminal Justice / Law Enforcement
- A.S. in Criminal Justice
- B.S. in Emergency Management & Homeland Security
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice – Public Administration
- Online Teaching in Higher Education
- Doctor of Business Administration (DBA) - Homeland Security
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Emergency Management
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Global Leadership
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Homeland Security Policy and Coordination
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Law and Public Policy
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Public Management and Leadership
- Master of Science (M.S.) in Criminal Justice - Homeland Security Policy and Coordination
- Master of Science (M.S.) in Criminal Justice - Law and Public Policy
- Master of Science (M.S.) in Criminal Justice - Policy Analysis
- Master of Science (M.S.) in Criminal Justice - Terrorism, Mediation, and Peace
- Master of Science (M.S.) in Criminal Justice - Emergency Management
- MS in Criminal Justice - Global Leadership
- DBA - Criminal Justice
- DBA - Homeland Security: Leadership & Policy
- MBA - Criminal Justice
- MBA - Homeland Security
- MPA - Criminal Justice
- BSCJ – Law Enforcement
- BSCJ – Juvenile Justice
- BSCJ – Homeland Security
- BSCJ – Forensic Psychology
- BSCJ – Crime Scene Investigation
- BS in Criminal Justice
- MSCJ - Corrections
- MSCJ - Global Issues in Criminal Justice
- MSCJ - Law
- MSCJ - Leadership/Executive Management
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice
- Master of Science in Homeland Security and Emergency Management
- Bachelor of Science in Fire Science
- Associate of Applied Science in Criminal Justice and Criminology
- Associate of Applied Science in Public Safety and Security
- Associate of Applied Science in Fire Science
- Bachelor of Science in Fire and Emergency Management
- BS in Corrections
- A.S. Criminal Justice
- B.S. Criminal Justice
- B.S. International Relations and Security - Cybersecurity
- B.S. International Relations and Security - Global Security
- Master of Science in Information Assurance
- MS in Criminology
- BS in Criminology
- Graduate Certificate in Information Assurance and Cyber Security
- Master of Science in Criminology - Cybercrime and Terrorism Focus
- Master of Science in Criminology - Human Behavior Focus
- Master of Science in Criminology - Leadership Focus
- Master of Science in Information Assurance - Cybersecurity Specialization
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice
- MS in Computer Science - Cyber Security
- BS in Cybersecurity - Information Assurance
- BS in Cybersecurity - Cybercrime and Fraud Investigation
- BS in Cybersecurity - Network Forensics and Intrusion Investigation
- BS in Cybersecurity - Cyber Operations
- Masters in Financial Crime and Compliance Management
- MBA Economic Crime and Fraud Management
- MS Cybersecurity - Intelligence
- MS Cybersecurity - Computer Forensics
- MS Cybersecurity - Cyber Operations
- Bachelor of Science in Cybersecurity
- Bachelor of Science in Fraud and Financial Crime Investigation
- BS in Criminal Justice - Cyber Criminology and Policy
- Computer Forensics Certificate
- Cyber Crime and Fraud Investigation Certificate
- Cyber Network Defense Certificate
- Cyber Operations Certificate
- Cyber Policy Certificate
- Cybersecurity Technologies Certificate
- Financial Crime and Compliance Operations Certificate
- Financial Crime Investigation Certificate
- Master of Professional Studies in Cyber Policy and Risk Analysis
- MBA - Cyber Policy
- MBA - Cybersecurity
- Monitoring, Surveillance, and Intelligence Operations Certificate
- MS in Cybersecurity - Electronic Crime
- MS in Cybersecurity - Malware Analysis
- MS in Data Science: Cybersecurity
- MS in Data Science: Financial Crime
- Online Bachelor of Science in Fraud and Financial Crime Investigation - Financial Investigation
- Online Bachelor of Science in Fraud and Financial Crime Investigation - Fraud Prevention and Detection
- Online Master of Science in Cybersecurity
- Master of Science Criminal Justice Critical Incident Mgt
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice - Corrections
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice - Criminal Investigation
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice - Forensic Science
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice - Legal Studies
- AA in Criminal Justice
- BA in Criminal Justice
- BA in Criminal Justice - Criminalistics Specialization
- BA in Criminal Justice - Homeland Security Specialization
- BS - Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement Administration
- Master - Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement Administration
- CTU - Criminal Forensics