Perhaps best known for outlaws like Billy the Kid and the Lincoln County War in 1880, New Mexico is a state formed of a pioneer spirit of fierce individuality and legendary outlaws and freedom fighters. It’s also been the home of some of the greatest lawmen in history. When fugitives go on the run in this state, modern-day bounty hunters track them down and return them to justice. Learn how to become a fugitive retrieval agent in New Mexico including training, licensure and job requirements.
Find schools and get information on the program that’s
right for you.
(It’s fast and free!)
Becoming a Bounty Hunter in New Mexico
With a long history of law enforcement and fugitive recovery, New Mexico has long known the need for regulation of bail bondsmen. Such activities have been regulated since 1978, but there are no specific statutes for bounty hunters. A similar occupation, the limited surety solicitor, is licensed in the state.
Basic State Requirements
- Education: Licensed bail bondsmen must complete 30 hours of education in the responsibilities and regulations surrounding bounty hunting activities and those of the bail bond business. You must also have a high school education or GED.
- Age: You must be at minimum 18 years of age.
- Degree: Degrees aren’t necessary, but many do pursue secondary education in law and government or criminal justice.
- Experience: 120 hours of training on the job under the employ of a licensed bondsman is required.
- Citizenship: Solicitors must be United States citizens.
- Background Screening: A background check is necessary to prove that you have no felony convictions on your record. Fingerprinting carries a $44 fee.
- Exam: After applying for your license and receiving approval to do so, you must take a licensing exam. This carries a $75 fee.
Application Process in New Mexico
- License Application: Your application includes your fingerprint check, a $30 license fee, a letter of credit in the amount of $25,000, a notarized financial statement, proof of your pre-licensing education, documentation of your on-the-job training, and a $50 filing fee.
- Licensure: You’ll have to renew your license every year, which carries a fee of $20 and requires 15 hours of continuing education, which must include at least one hour in ethics training.
Degrees related to Bounty Hunters
Degrees related to bounty hunters include finance, criminal justice, forensics, and law enforcement, among others.
Major Cities in New Mexico
Major cities in New Mexico include Albuquerque, Santa Fe, Roswell, and Las Cruces, all of which have bail bondsmen and solicitors.
Specific Duties of Bounty Hunters in New Mexico
Your daily duties will include tracking down and arresting fugitives who fail to appear in court in violation of their bond agreement. You will aid in surveilling and presenting the fugitive at the proper date and time in court.
People who perform similar duties are the private detective or private investigator, whose skills are essentially the same, and the process server who serves summons and documents in legal matters.
Employment Numbers in New Mexico
Employment figures are generally based off of those for private detectives by proxy. The career is estimated to experience a 7.9% growth by the year 2022.
Salary Ranges in New Mexico
Salary averages, also using private investigators as proxy representation, average around $33,680 in New Mexico.
Education Programs for Bounty Hunters in New Mexico
- Criminal Justice - Bachelor
- M.S. in Criminal Justice: Law Enforcement
- Criminal Justice, MA
- Homeland Security, MA
- Criminal Justice, BA
- Homeland Security, BA
- Homeland Security, AA
- Criminal Justice, AA
- DEM - Emergency Management
- BS - Criminal Justice
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice – Public Administration
- Online Teaching in Higher Education
- Doctor of Business Administration (DBA) - Homeland Security
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Emergency Management
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Global Leadership
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Homeland Security Policy and Coordination
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Law and Public Policy
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Public Management and Leadership
- Master of Science (M.S.) in Criminal Justice - Homeland Security Policy and Coordination
- Master of Science (M.S.) in Criminal Justice - Law and Public Policy
- Master of Science (M.S.) in Criminal Justice - Policy Analysis
- Master of Science (M.S.) in Criminal Justice - Terrorism, Mediation, and Peace
- Master of Science (M.S.) in Criminal Justice - Emergency Management
- MS in Criminal Justice - Global Leadership
- DBA - Criminal Justice
- DBA - Homeland Security: Leadership & Policy
- MBA - Criminal Justice
- MBA - Homeland Security
- MPA - Criminal Justice
- BSCJ – Law Enforcement
- BSCJ – Juvenile Justice
- BSCJ – Homeland Security
- BSCJ – Forensic Psychology
- BSCJ – Crime Scene Investigation
- BS in Criminal Justice
- MSCJ - Corrections
- MSCJ - Global Issues in Criminal Justice
- MSCJ - Law
- MSCJ - Leadership/Executive Management
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice
- Master of Science in Homeland Security and Emergency Management
- Bachelor of Science in Fire Science
- Associate of Applied Science in Criminal Justice and Criminology
- Associate of Applied Science in Public Safety and Security
- Associate of Applied Science in Fire Science
- Bachelor of Science in Fire and Emergency Management
- BS in Corrections
- B.S. Criminal Justice
- B.S. International Relations and Security - Cybersecurity
- B.S. International Relations and Security - Global Security
- A.S. Criminal Justice
- Master of Science in Information Assurance
- MS in Criminology
- BS in Criminology
- Graduate Certificate in Information Assurance and Cyber Security
- Master of Science in Criminology - Cybercrime and Terrorism Focus
- Master of Science in Criminology - Human Behavior Focus
- Master of Science in Criminology - Leadership Focus
- Master of Science in Information Assurance - Cybersecurity Specialization
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice
- MS in Computer Science - Cyber Security
- BS in Cybersecurity - Information Assurance
- BS in Cybersecurity - Cybercrime and Fraud Investigation
- BS in Cybersecurity - Network Forensics and Intrusion Investigation
- BS in Cybersecurity - Cyber Operations
- Masters in Financial Crime and Compliance Management
- MBA Economic Crime and Fraud Management
- MS Cybersecurity - Intelligence
- MS Cybersecurity - Computer Forensics
- MS Cybersecurity - Cyber Operations
- Bachelor of Science in Cybersecurity
- Bachelor of Science in Fraud and Financial Crime Investigation
- BS in Criminal Justice - Cyber Criminology and Policy
- Computer Forensics Certificate
- Cyber Crime and Fraud Investigation Certificate
- Cyber Network Defense Certificate
- Cyber Operations Certificate
- Cyber Policy Certificate
- Cybersecurity Technologies Certificate
- Financial Crime and Compliance Operations Certificate
- Financial Crime Investigation Certificate
- Master of Professional Studies in Cyber Policy and Risk Analysis
- MBA - Cyber Policy
- MBA - Cybersecurity
- Monitoring, Surveillance, and Intelligence Operations Certificate
- MS in Cybersecurity - Electronic Crime
- MS in Cybersecurity - Malware Analysis
- MS in Data Science: Cybersecurity
- MS in Data Science: Financial Crime
- Online Bachelor of Science in Fraud and Financial Crime Investigation - Financial Investigation
- Online Bachelor of Science in Fraud and Financial Crime Investigation - Fraud Prevention and Detection
- Online Master of Science in Cybersecurity
- Master of Science Criminal Justice Critical Incident Mgt
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice - Corrections
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice - Criminal Investigation
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice - Forensic Science
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice - Legal Studies
- AA in Criminal Justice
- BA in Criminal Justice
- BA in Criminal Justice - Criminalistics Specialization
- BA in Criminal Justice - Homeland Security Specialization
- BS - Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement Administration
- Master - Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement Administration
- CTU - Criminal Forensics