In many ways, New York has become synonymous with the United States, its namesake city carrying a proud heritage and history, the home of Broadway and Wall Street, of Times Square and glamour. It’s also, like many states, one that has a criminal element on the run from justice. When fugitives fail to appear in court, they are tracked down by bail enforcement agents, more commonly known as bounty hunters, and returned to justice. Here’s everything you need to know if this career appeals to you as a New York resident.
Find schools and get information on the program that’s
right for you.
(It’s fast and free!)
Becoming a Bounty Hunter in New York
Bounty Hunters in New York are legally referred to as bail enforcement agents. Their activities are carefully overseen and regulated under the law and becoming licensed requires training, experience and solid moral character.
Basic State Requirements
- Education: State-approved training of at least 25 hours is required, unless you were a police officer for more than 3 years.
- Age: Minimum 25 years old.
- Degree: Many bounty hunters pursue criminal justice degrees to enhance their skills.
- Experience: All bounty hunters in New York must have at minimum 3 years of experience in law enforcement as a police officer, private investigations employee where bounty hunting duties took place, or as a state, county or federal investigator.
- Citizenship: You will need to be a United States Citizen.
- Background Screening: You must not have any felony convictions to be eligible for licensure. This requires fingerprinting, which carries a $75 fee.
- Surety Bond: You must be bonded for $500,000
Application Process in New York
- License Application: Your bail enforcement agent application must include an informed consent form from the DMV, proof of fingerprinting, verification of experience from employers and at least three references, proof of earnings over the prior three years, and a $400 application fee.
- Licensure: renewal must be completed every two years, which carries a $25 fee and proof of your ongoing bond.
Degrees related to Bounty Hunters
Many bounty hunters pursue two- or four-year degrees to enhance their skills, including criminal justice, criminal psychology, forensics, sociology, law and government, law enforcement or similar fields.
Major Cities in New York
Major cities in New York include the state capital of Albany, New York City, Buffalo, Syracuse, and Rochester. Bounty hunters can be found in many large cities throughout the state.
Specific Duties of Bounty Hunters in New York
Bounty hunters may not wear, display or possess a badge while performing their work. Those who moonlight as a security guard or P.I. have strict requirements on the wearing of name tags. They must whenever they are working, inform local law enforcement officials in writing. Any time they need to enter a building, they must be accompanied by local law enforcement.
Careers most closely related to bounty hunters in New York are law enforcement, private investigators, bail bondsmen and process servers.
Employment Numbers in New York
Employment figures are not kept for bounty hunters, but private investigators form a very close proxy. Jobs in the field are projected to increase by 14.4% over the next five years.
Salary Ranges in New York
Salary figures are also based on those for private investigators, and indicates that a bounty hunter in New York can expect to earn between $37,000 and $65,000.
Education Programs for Bounty Hunters in New York
- Criminal Justice - Bachelor
- Criminal Justice, MA
- Homeland Security, MA
- Homeland Security, AA
- Criminal Justice, AA
- Homeland Security, BA
- Criminal Justice, BA
- DEM - Emergency Management
- BS - Criminal Justice
- B.S. in Criminal Justice
- B.S. in Human Services / Criminal Justice
- B.S. in Criminal Justice / Law Enforcement
- A.S. in Criminal Justice
- B.S. in Emergency Management & Homeland Security
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice – Public Administration
- Online Teaching in Higher Education
- Doctor of Business Administration (DBA) - Homeland Security
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Emergency Management
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Global Leadership
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Homeland Security Policy and Coordination
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Law and Public Policy
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Public Management and Leadership
- Master of Science (M.S.) in Criminal Justice - Homeland Security Policy and Coordination
- Master of Science (M.S.) in Criminal Justice - Law and Public Policy
- Master of Science (M.S.) in Criminal Justice - Policy Analysis
- Master of Science (M.S.) in Criminal Justice - Terrorism, Mediation, and Peace
- Master of Science (M.S.) in Criminal Justice - Emergency Management
- MS in Criminal Justice - Global Leadership
- DBA - Criminal Justice
- DBA - Homeland Security: Leadership & Policy
- MBA - Criminal Justice
- MBA - Homeland Security
- MPA - Criminal Justice
- BSCJ – Law Enforcement
- BSCJ – Juvenile Justice
- BSCJ – Homeland Security
- BSCJ – Forensic Psychology
- BSCJ – Crime Scene Investigation
- BS in Criminal Justice
- MSCJ - Corrections
- MSCJ - Global Issues in Criminal Justice
- MSCJ - Law
- MSCJ - Leadership/Executive Management
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice
- Master of Science in Homeland Security and Emergency Management
- Bachelor of Science in Fire Science
- Associate of Applied Science in Criminal Justice and Criminology
- Associate of Applied Science in Public Safety and Security
- Associate of Applied Science in Fire Science
- Bachelor of Science in Fire and Emergency Management
- BS in Corrections
- A.S. Criminal Justice
- B.S. Criminal Justice
- B.S. International Relations and Security - Cybersecurity
- B.S. International Relations and Security - Global Security
- Master of Science in Information Assurance
- MS in Criminology
- BS in Criminology
- Graduate Certificate in Information Assurance and Cyber Security
- Master of Science in Criminology - Cybercrime and Terrorism Focus
- Master of Science in Criminology - Human Behavior Focus
- Master of Science in Criminology - Leadership Focus
- Master of Science in Information Assurance - Cybersecurity Specialization
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice
- MS in Computer Science - Cyber Security
- BS in Cybersecurity - Information Assurance
- BS in Cybersecurity - Cybercrime and Fraud Investigation
- BS in Cybersecurity - Network Forensics and Intrusion Investigation
- BS in Cybersecurity - Cyber Operations
- Masters in Financial Crime and Compliance Management
- MBA Economic Crime and Fraud Management
- MS Cybersecurity - Intelligence
- MS Cybersecurity - Computer Forensics
- MS Cybersecurity - Cyber Operations
- Bachelor of Science in Cybersecurity
- Bachelor of Science in Fraud and Financial Crime Investigation
- BS in Criminal Justice - Cyber Criminology and Policy
- Computer Forensics Certificate
- Cyber Crime and Fraud Investigation Certificate
- Cyber Network Defense Certificate
- Cyber Operations Certificate
- Cyber Policy Certificate
- Cybersecurity Technologies Certificate
- Financial Crime and Compliance Operations Certificate
- Financial Crime Investigation Certificate
- Master of Professional Studies in Cyber Policy and Risk Analysis
- MBA - Cyber Policy
- MBA - Cybersecurity
- Monitoring, Surveillance, and Intelligence Operations Certificate
- MS in Cybersecurity - Electronic Crime
- MS in Cybersecurity - Malware Analysis
- MS in Data Science: Cybersecurity
- MS in Data Science: Financial Crime
- Online Bachelor of Science in Fraud and Financial Crime Investigation - Financial Investigation
- Online Bachelor of Science in Fraud and Financial Crime Investigation - Fraud Prevention and Detection
- Online Master of Science in Cybersecurity
- Master of Science Criminal Justice Critical Incident Mgt
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice - Corrections
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice - Criminal Investigation
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice - Forensic Science
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice - Legal Studies
- AA in Criminal Justice
- BA in Criminal Justice
- BA in Criminal Justice - Criminalistics Specialization
- BA in Criminal Justice - Homeland Security Specialization
- BS - Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement Administration
- Master - Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement Administration
- CTU - Criminal Forensics