North Dakota contains the area that is geographically the exact center of North America. It’s marked by a 15-foot-high rock obelisk, at each side of which flies both the U.S. and Canadian flags. It’s also a major port of entry into Canada, where over 72,000 vehicles cross every year. Many fugitives from justice think they can escape the law in this broad state, but the bounty hunters who track them down do their level best to make sure this doesn’t happen. Discover what it takes to become a bounty hunter in North Dakota.
Find schools and get information on the program that’s
right for you.
(It’s fast and free!)
Becoming a Bounty Hunter in North Dakota
In North Dakota, there are no specific laws regulating skip tracers, fugitive recovery agents or bounty hunters, though bail bondsmen are regulated by the Insurance Department’s Agent Licensing Division and have the authority to make arrests. As such, bounty hunters find it in their best interests to abide by these laws.
Basic State Requirements
- Education: There are no strict educational requirements to become a fugitive retrieval agent in North Dakota. Bail bondsmen complete 24 hours of education with 3 hours of ethics.
- Age: Bail bond agents should be at least 18 years old.
- Degree: Many bounty hunters pursue a higher degree in law enforcement or criminal justice.
- Experience: There is no experience requirement to act as a North Dakota bounty hunter.
- Citizenship: You must be a resident of North Dakota.
- Background Screening: Bail bondsmen must have no felony convictions, and thus a fingerprint background check is required, which carries two fees: $44.50 for BCI processing and $28 for PSI processing.
- No Officer Affiliation: Agents in North Dakota cannot be affiliated with any legal office or department that has arrest powers, including police, jailers, magistrates, or similar.
- Exam: Bail bondsmen take a licensing exam, which carries an $87 fee.
Application Process in North Dakota
- License Application: While bounty hunters specifically aren’t licensed, bail bondsmen apply for licensure through the state’s online portal, which carries a $100 fee.
- Licensure: Renewals are conducted every two years, and cost $30 between renewal and transaction fees.
Degrees related to Bounty Hunters
Bounty hunters often pursue secondary education in fields like law enforcement, criminal justice or criminal psychology to enhance their fugitive tracking skills.
Major Cities in North Dakota
Major cities in North Dakota where bounty hunters can be found include Fargo, Bismarck, and Grand Forks, among others.
Specific Duties of Bounty Hunters in North Dakota
Bounty Hunters have to work very closely with local law enforcement and obey all applicable laws when performing skip tracing and pursuing fugitives. This means keeping abreast of all laws involving search and seizure.
Careers most closely associated with bounty hunters include private detectives and process servers who serve, file and retrieve court documents related to ongoing cases.
Employment Numbers in North Dakota
Employment numbers aren’t tracked by the BLS for bounty hunters. However, using private investigators as a proxy gives a very close window. Recent figures from 2015 indicate that there were nearly 300 current jobs in the field across the state.
Salary Ranges in North Dakota
Salary ranges vary by area. Again, based on those for PIs, a bounty hunter in North Dakota can make between $64,000 and $94,000 per year, with an average of around $78,000 statewide.
Education Programs for Bounty Hunters in North Dakota
- Criminal Justice - Bachelor
- M.S. in Criminal Justice: Law Enforcement
- Criminal Justice, BA
- Homeland Security, BA
- Homeland Security, AA
- Criminal Justice, AA
- DEM - Emergency Management
- BS - Criminal Justice
- B.S. in Criminal Justice
- B.S. in Human Services / Criminal Justice
- B.S. in Criminal Justice / Law Enforcement
- A.S. in Criminal Justice
- B.S. in Emergency Management & Homeland Security
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice – Public Administration
- Online Teaching in Higher Education
- Doctor of Business Administration (DBA) - Homeland Security
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Emergency Management
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Global Leadership
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Homeland Security Policy and Coordination
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Law and Public Policy
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Public Management and Leadership
- Master of Science (M.S.) in Criminal Justice - Homeland Security Policy and Coordination
- Master of Science (M.S.) in Criminal Justice - Law and Public Policy
- Master of Science (M.S.) in Criminal Justice - Policy Analysis
- Master of Science (M.S.) in Criminal Justice - Terrorism, Mediation, and Peace
- Master of Science (M.S.) in Criminal Justice - Emergency Management
- MS in Criminal Justice - Global Leadership
- DBA - Criminal Justice
- DBA - Homeland Security: Leadership & Policy
- MBA - Criminal Justice
- MBA - Homeland Security
- MPA - Criminal Justice
- BSCJ – Law Enforcement
- BSCJ – Juvenile Justice
- BSCJ – Homeland Security
- BSCJ – Forensic Psychology
- BSCJ – Crime Scene Investigation
- BS in Criminal Justice
- MSCJ - Corrections
- MSCJ - Global Issues in Criminal Justice
- MSCJ - Law
- MSCJ - Leadership/Executive Management
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice
- Master of Science in Homeland Security and Emergency Management
- Bachelor of Science in Fire Science
- Associate of Applied Science in Criminal Justice and Criminology
- Associate of Applied Science in Public Safety and Security
- Associate of Applied Science in Fire Science
- Bachelor of Science in Fire and Emergency Management
- BS in Corrections
- B.S. Criminal Justice
- B.S. International Relations and Security - Cybersecurity
- B.S. International Relations and Security - Global Security
- A.S. Criminal Justice
- Master of Science in Information Assurance
- MS in Criminology
- BS in Criminology
- Graduate Certificate in Information Assurance and Cyber Security
- Master of Science in Criminology - Cybercrime and Terrorism Focus
- Master of Science in Criminology - Human Behavior Focus
- Master of Science in Criminology - Leadership Focus
- Master of Science in Information Assurance - Cybersecurity Specialization
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice
- MS in Computer Science - Cyber Security
- BS in Cybersecurity - Information Assurance
- BS in Cybersecurity - Cybercrime and Fraud Investigation
- BS in Cybersecurity - Network Forensics and Intrusion Investigation
- BS in Cybersecurity - Cyber Operations
- Masters in Financial Crime and Compliance Management
- MBA Economic Crime and Fraud Management
- MS Cybersecurity - Intelligence
- MS Cybersecurity - Computer Forensics
- MS Cybersecurity - Cyber Operations
- Bachelor of Science in Cybersecurity
- Bachelor of Science in Fraud and Financial Crime Investigation
- BS in Criminal Justice - Cyber Criminology and Policy
- Computer Forensics Certificate
- Cyber Crime and Fraud Investigation Certificate
- Cyber Network Defense Certificate
- Cyber Operations Certificate
- Cyber Policy Certificate
- Cybersecurity Technologies Certificate
- Financial Crime and Compliance Operations Certificate
- Financial Crime Investigation Certificate
- Master of Professional Studies in Cyber Policy and Risk Analysis
- MBA - Cyber Policy
- MBA - Cybersecurity
- Monitoring, Surveillance, and Intelligence Operations Certificate
- MS in Cybersecurity - Electronic Crime
- MS in Cybersecurity - Malware Analysis
- MS in Data Science: Cybersecurity
- MS in Data Science: Financial Crime
- Online Bachelor of Science in Fraud and Financial Crime Investigation - Financial Investigation
- Online Bachelor of Science in Fraud and Financial Crime Investigation - Fraud Prevention and Detection
- Online Master of Science in Cybersecurity
- Master of Science Criminal Justice Critical Incident Mgt
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice - Corrections
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice - Criminal Investigation
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice - Forensic Science
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice - Legal Studies
- AA in Criminal Justice
- BA in Criminal Justice
- BA in Criminal Justice - Criminalistics Specialization
- BA in Criminal Justice - Homeland Security Specialization
- BS - Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement Administration
- Master - Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement Administration
- CTU - Criminal Forensics