Ohio is the home of the very first ambulance service, the home of John Glenn, who was both the first and the oldest man to travel into outer space, and the home of both the pro football and rock and roll halls of fame. Just like any other state, however, there are those who live in Ohio who have no respect for the law and who become fugitives on the run. Those who skip bail or flee from the law are tracked down by dedicated men and women known as bounty hunters. If this exciting career sounds right for you, then read on to learn everything you need to know about becoming a bounty hunter in Ohio.
Find schools and get information on the program that’s
right for you.
(It’s fast and free!)
Becoming a Bounty Hunter in Ohio
Bounty Hunters have been regulated by the Ohio Department of Insurance since 2001. To become a bounty hunter in this state, you must pursue specific training and education, complete a licensing exam and meet a number of other state requirements to become licensed as a bail bond agent.
Basic State Requirements
- Education: Ohio bounty hunters are required to complete a pre-licensing education track that comprises 20 hours of training, which carries an average cost of $250.
- Age: The minimum age for a bounty hunter in Ohio is 18.
- Degree: No degree is necessary, but many pursue degrees such as criminal justice to enhance their skills.
- Experience: While no experience is necessary, working under an experienced mentor can not only improve skills but help to build a client.
- Citizenship: Bounty hunters have to be U.S. citizens or be legally eligible for U.S. employment.
- Background Screening: Background screening via fingerprinting is required. This costs $66, or $71 if done at the same time as testing.
- Exam: The surety bail bond exam is required for bounty hunter licensing. The exam costs $49.50, plus a $25 processing fee. You must answer 70 of the 100 questions correctly to pass.
Application Process in Ohio
- License Application: Your application can be completed either online or on paper and costs $150.
- Licensure: Licenses must be renewed in February every year and costs $150. Renewal requires 7 credits of continuing education, six of which must be specific to the job and one of which must be in ethics.
Degrees related to Bounty Hunters
Degrees that can help build on your skills as a bounty hunter include law enforcement, law and government, criminal justice, criminal psychology, or sociology.
Major Cities in Ohio
Major Ohio cities where bounty hunters can often be found include Trenton, Cincinnati, Columbus, Dayton, Cleveland and Youngstown.
Specific Duties of Bounty Hunters in Ohio
Bounty hunters track down fugitives from justice. Usually this involves skip tracing, or tracking those who skip out on bail. They can also, sometimes, track down other fugitives in return for collecting posted rewards. They must work in close conjunction and cooperation with local law enforcement and obey all relevant laws.
Careers that often operate closely with bounty hunters and that involve similar skills are private detectives, and court process servers.
Employment Numbers in Ohio
Bounty hunter employment figures aren’t tracked by the Bureau of Labor Statistics, but private investigators, as a closely related field, can be used to provide a close approximation. With over 1,000 PIs employed in the state and the field expected to grow by a full 10% in the next 5 years, it’s a good place to find work.
Salary Ranges in Ohio
Salary ranges, again based off of PIs, are around $43,430 on average.
Education Programs for Bounty Hunters in Ohio
- Criminal Justice - Bachelor
- Criminal Justice, MA
- Homeland Security, MA
- Homeland Security, BA
- Homeland Security, AA
- Criminal Justice, BA
- Criminal Justice, AA
- DEM - Emergency Management
- BS - Criminal Justice
- MS - Cybersecurity
- B.S. in Criminal Justice
- B.S. in Human Services / Criminal Justice
- B.S. in Criminal Justice / Law Enforcement
- A.S. in Criminal Justice
- B.S. in Emergency Management & Homeland Security
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice – Public Administration
- Online Teaching in Higher Education
- Doctor of Business Administration (DBA) - Homeland Security
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Emergency Management
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Global Leadership
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Homeland Security Policy and Coordination
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Law and Public Policy
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Public Management and Leadership
- DBA - Criminal Justice
- DBA - Homeland Security: Leadership & Policy
- MBA - Criminal Justice
- MBA - Homeland Security
- B.S. International Relations and Security - Cybersecurity
- B.S. International Relations and Security - Global Security
- A.S. Criminal Justice
- B.S. Criminal Justice
- Master of Science in Information Assurance
- MS in Criminology
- BS in Criminology
- Graduate Certificate in Information Assurance and Cyber Security
- Master of Science in Criminology - Cybercrime and Terrorism Focus
- Master of Science in Criminology - Human Behavior Focus
- Master of Science in Criminology - Leadership Focus
- Master of Science in Information Assurance - Cybersecurity Specialization
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice
- MS in Computer Science - Cyber Security
- BS in Cybersecurity - Information Assurance
- BS in Cybersecurity - Cybercrime and Fraud Investigation
- BS in Cybersecurity - Network Forensics and Intrusion Investigation
- BS in Cybersecurity - Cyber Operations
- Masters in Financial Crime and Compliance Management
- MBA Economic Crime and Fraud Management
- MS Cybersecurity - Intelligence
- MS Cybersecurity - Computer Forensics
- MS Cybersecurity - Cyber Operations
- Bachelor of Science in Cybersecurity
- Bachelor of Science in Fraud and Financial Crime Investigation
- BS in Criminal Justice - Cyber Criminology and Policy
- Computer Forensics Certificate
- Cyber Crime and Fraud Investigation Certificate
- Cyber Network Defense Certificate
- Cyber Operations Certificate
- Cyber Policy Certificate
- Cybersecurity Technologies Certificate
- Financial Crime and Compliance Operations Certificate
- Financial Crime Investigation Certificate
- Master of Professional Studies in Cyber Policy and Risk Analysis
- MBA - Cyber Policy
- MBA - Cybersecurity
- Monitoring, Surveillance, and Intelligence Operations Certificate
- MS in Cybersecurity - Electronic Crime
- MS in Cybersecurity - Malware Analysis
- MS in Data Science: Cybersecurity
- MS in Data Science: Financial Crime
- Online Bachelor of Science in Fraud and Financial Crime Investigation - Financial Investigation
- Online Bachelor of Science in Fraud and Financial Crime Investigation - Fraud Prevention and Detection
- Online Master of Science in Cybersecurity
- BS in Criminal Justice - General
- BS in Criminal Justice - Homeland Security
- BS in Criminal Justice - Legal Issues in Criminal Justice
- BS in Criminal Justice - Public Policy and Leadership
- BS in Criminal Justice - White Collar Crime
- BS - Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement Administration
- Master - Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement Administration
- CTU - Criminal Forensics