The tribal capital of the Cherokee Nation, Oklahoma was originally Native American Territory, but was opened to settlers in 1889. It’s the home of Garth Brooks, and its state motto translates to “Labor Conquers All Things.” People here believe in dedication and hard work. When fugitives from justice fail to appear in court, bondsmen and bail enforcement agents known as bounty hunters track them down. Learn all you need to pursue this exciting career in Oklahoma.
Find schools and get information on the program that’s
right for you.
(It’s fast and free!)
Becoming a Bounty Hunter in Oklahoma
In Oklahoma, bounty hunters are known as bail enforcers. They are required to complete specific training and certification before practicing the trade. Working without a license constitutes a felony in the state.
Basic State Requirements
- Education: Bail enforcement agents must undergo specific CLEET training and certification targeted at either unarmed or armed bail enforcer licensure. This requires a high school diploma or GED.
- Age: You have to be at least 21 to get certified.
- Degree: No degree is required but education in criminal justice and law enforcement can be helpful.
- Experience: No experience is required, but bail agents tend to find more success with more experience.
- Citizenship: U.S. citizenship or legal residency is required, as is state residency for 6 months.
- Background Screening: Background checks establish that you have no felony convictions, crimes of moral turpitude, pending charges or orders of protection.
- Psychological Evaluation: A psychological evaluation is required to apply for an armed enforcer license.
- Surety Bonding: You must have liability coverage and be bonded for at least $10,000.
Application Process in Oklahoma
- License Application: Your application form must include two passport-style photos, results of background checks, proof of insurance and training completion, and a $300 application fee ($400 if seeking an armed license).
- Licensure: Your license is valid for three years and must be carried with you at all times.
Degrees related to Bounty Hunters
Many bounty hunters seek 2- or 4-year degrees in criminal justice, law enforcement, criminal psychology or similar fields to help enhance their skills.
Major Cities in Oklahoma
Major Oklahoma cities where bounty hunters can often be seen include Tulsa, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma City, and Norman.
Specific Duties of Bounty Hunters in Oklahoma
Duties performed by Oklahoma bounty hunters include skip tracing, or tracking down bail jumpers who fail to appear in court. They must carry their license at all times and work in close conjunction with local law enforcement and obey all applicable laws and regulations.
Careers that are very closely related to the Oklahoma bounty hunter include private detectives who use similar investigative and fugitive tracking skills, and process servers, who present court summons and other legal documents as well as performing document retrieval and filing.
Employment Numbers in Oklahoma
Employment outlook and figures aren’t tracked for bounty hunters by the BLS. However, those for private detectives form an excellent proxy as the two fields are closely-related. There are expected to be 10.6% more openings in the field by the next half decade.
Salary Ranges in Oklahoma
Salary figures as well are not tracked by the BLS, but again, PIs are. Average salaries in Oklahoma range from $25,910 in Tulsa to $57,760 in Oklahoma City.
Education Programs for Bounty Hunters in Oklahoma
- Criminal Justice - Bachelor
- M.S. in Criminal Justice: Law Enforcement
- Criminal Justice, MA
- Homeland Security, MA
- Criminal Justice, BA
- Homeland Security, AA
- Criminal Justice, AA
- Homeland Security, BA
- DEM - Emergency Management
- BS - Criminal Justice
- B.S. in Criminal Justice
- B.S. in Human Services / Criminal Justice
- B.S. in Criminal Justice / Law Enforcement
- A.S. in Criminal Justice
- B.S. in Emergency Management & Homeland Security
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice – Public Administration
- Online Teaching in Higher Education
- Doctor of Business Administration (DBA) - Homeland Security
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Emergency Management
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Global Leadership
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Homeland Security Policy and Coordination
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Law and Public Policy
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Public Management and Leadership
- Master of Science (M.S.) in Criminal Justice - Homeland Security Policy and Coordination
- Master of Science (M.S.) in Criminal Justice - Law and Public Policy
- Master of Science (M.S.) in Criminal Justice - Policy Analysis
- Master of Science (M.S.) in Criminal Justice - Terrorism, Mediation, and Peace
- Master of Science (M.S.) in Criminal Justice - Emergency Management
- MS in Criminal Justice - Global Leadership
- DBA - Criminal Justice
- DBA - Homeland Security: Leadership & Policy
- MBA - Criminal Justice
- MBA - Homeland Security
- MPA - Criminal Justice
- BSCJ – Law Enforcement
- BSCJ – Juvenile Justice
- BSCJ – Homeland Security
- BSCJ – Forensic Psychology
- BSCJ – Crime Scene Investigation
- BS in Criminal Justice
- MSCJ - Corrections
- MSCJ - Global Issues in Criminal Justice
- MSCJ - Law
- MSCJ - Leadership/Executive Management
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice
- Master of Science in Homeland Security and Emergency Management
- Bachelor of Science in Fire Science
- Associate of Applied Science in Criminal Justice and Criminology
- Associate of Applied Science in Public Safety and Security
- Associate of Applied Science in Fire Science
- Bachelor of Science in Fire and Emergency Management
- BS in Corrections
- A.S. Criminal Justice
- B.S. Criminal Justice
- B.S. International Relations and Security - Cybersecurity
- B.S. International Relations and Security - Global Security
- Master of Science in Information Assurance
- MS in Criminology
- BS in Criminology
- Graduate Certificate in Information Assurance and Cyber Security
- Master of Science in Criminology - Cybercrime and Terrorism Focus
- Master of Science in Criminology - Human Behavior Focus
- Master of Science in Criminology - Leadership Focus
- Master of Science in Information Assurance - Cybersecurity Specialization
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice
- MS in Computer Science - Cyber Security
- BS in Cybersecurity - Information Assurance
- BS in Cybersecurity - Cybercrime and Fraud Investigation
- BS in Cybersecurity - Network Forensics and Intrusion Investigation
- BS in Cybersecurity - Cyber Operations
- Masters in Financial Crime and Compliance Management
- MBA Economic Crime and Fraud Management
- MS Cybersecurity - Intelligence
- MS Cybersecurity - Computer Forensics
- MS Cybersecurity - Cyber Operations
- Bachelor of Science in Cybersecurity
- Bachelor of Science in Fraud and Financial Crime Investigation
- BS in Criminal Justice - Cyber Criminology and Policy
- Computer Forensics Certificate
- Cyber Crime and Fraud Investigation Certificate
- Cyber Network Defense Certificate
- Cyber Operations Certificate
- Cyber Policy Certificate
- Cybersecurity Technologies Certificate
- Financial Crime and Compliance Operations Certificate
- Financial Crime Investigation Certificate
- Master of Professional Studies in Cyber Policy and Risk Analysis
- MBA - Cyber Policy
- MBA - Cybersecurity
- Monitoring, Surveillance, and Intelligence Operations Certificate
- MS in Cybersecurity - Electronic Crime
- MS in Cybersecurity - Malware Analysis
- MS in Data Science: Cybersecurity
- MS in Data Science: Financial Crime
- Online Bachelor of Science in Fraud and Financial Crime Investigation - Financial Investigation
- Online Bachelor of Science in Fraud and Financial Crime Investigation - Fraud Prevention and Detection
- Online Master of Science in Cybersecurity
- Master of Science Criminal Justice Critical Incident Mgt
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice - Corrections
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice - Criminal Investigation
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice - Forensic Science
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice - Legal Studies
- AA in Criminal Justice
- BA in Criminal Justice
- BA in Criminal Justice - Criminalistics Specialization
- BA in Criminal Justice - Homeland Security Specialization
- BS - Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement Administration
- Master - Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement Administration
- CTU - Criminal Forensics