Oregon is a state that values personal liberty and a pioneer spirit, which is exemplified by the “Oregon Pioneer” statue standing atop the state capitol building. It contains the deepest lake in the United States, Crater Lake, which is world-renowned. Sometimes, as with every state, criminals go on the run from the law. In Oregon, these fugitives are hunted by licensed law enforcement officers. Bounty hunters are expressly forbidden in this state, but those wishing to get involved in a similar field can pursue employment as a private detective.
Find schools and get information on the program that’s
right for you.
(It’s fast and free!)
Becoming a Bounty Hunter in Oregon
You cannot become an authorized or licensed bounty hunter in Oregon. It’s one of four states that prohibit the practice, as well as commercial bail bonding. Those who wish to pursue a similar career can endeavor to become a licensed private investigator.
Basic State Requirements
- Education: Formal instruction of at least 500 hours can substitute for experience requirements.
- Age: All private investigators must at minimum be a legal adult.
- Degree: While a degree is not required to work as a P.I., earning education in criminal justice can be helpful.
- Experience: Private investigators must have 1,500 hours of fact-finding work experience before being accredited as a private investigator. This usually requires working for a PI or detective agency.
- Citizenship: You must be legally eligible to work in the United States.
- Background Screening: Fingerprint screening including a PS-4 affidavit are required for licensure.
- Insurance: A corporate bond is required of at least $5,000, plus errors and omissions insurance of $5,000.
- Exam: After your application is submitted, you must complete the 50-question PI Ability Test.
Application Process in Oregon
- License Application: Your application must include 3 professional references, two recent passport-style digital photos, your resume, a testing and fingerprinting authorization fee of $79, and a licensing fee of $550.
- Licensure: Your permit is valid for two years, during which time you must complete 32 hours of continuing education, two of which must be in ethics.
Degrees related to Bounty Hunters
Degrees in criminal justice, in law enforcement, in forensics, in psychology or sociology, or similar fields can be very helpful in developing your skills.
Major Cities in Oregon
Major Oregon cities include Portland, Salem, Eugene, Beaverton, and Bend. PIs can be found in most major city centers.
Specific Duties of Bounty Hunters in Oregon
Again, there are no bounty hunters in Oregon, but private investigators perform a wide variety of investigative and fugitive tracking duties, often in conjunction with local law enforcement. You must be educated in and obey all relevant state and federal laws.
Private Investigations are closely related to law enforcement and court process servers, who present summons and paperwork for outstanding court cases.
Employment Numbers in Oregon
Employment figures for private investigators in Oregon, according to most projections, indicate that the job field is going to expand by a full 18% over the next five years.
Salary Ranges in Oregon
Salary figures for PIs indicate that, on average, a private detective in Oregon should make around $42,690 per year, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
Education Programs for Bounty Hunters in Oregon
- Criminal Justice - Bachelor
- M.S. in Criminal Justice: Law Enforcement
- Criminal Justice, BA
- Homeland Security, BA
- Homeland Security, AA
- Criminal Justice, AA
- DEM - Emergency Management
- BS - Criminal Justice
- B.S. in Criminal Justice
- B.S. in Human Services / Criminal Justice
- B.S. in Criminal Justice / Law Enforcement
- A.S. in Criminal Justice
- B.S. in Emergency Management & Homeland Security
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice – Public Administration
- Online Teaching in Higher Education
- Doctor of Business Administration (DBA) - Homeland Security
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Emergency Management
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Global Leadership
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Homeland Security Policy and Coordination
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Law and Public Policy
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Public Management and Leadership
- Master of Science (M.S.) in Criminal Justice - Homeland Security Policy and Coordination
- Master of Science (M.S.) in Criminal Justice - Law and Public Policy
- Master of Science (M.S.) in Criminal Justice - Policy Analysis
- Master of Science (M.S.) in Criminal Justice - Terrorism, Mediation, and Peace
- Master of Science (M.S.) in Criminal Justice - Emergency Management
- MS in Criminal Justice - Global Leadership
- DBA - Criminal Justice
- DBA - Homeland Security: Leadership & Policy
- MBA - Criminal Justice
- MBA - Homeland Security
- MPA - Criminal Justice
- BSCJ – Law Enforcement
- BSCJ – Juvenile Justice
- BSCJ – Homeland Security
- BSCJ – Forensic Psychology
- BSCJ – Crime Scene Investigation
- BS in Criminal Justice
- MSCJ - Corrections
- MSCJ - Global Issues in Criminal Justice
- MSCJ - Law
- MSCJ - Leadership/Executive Management
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice
- Master of Science in Homeland Security and Emergency Management
- Bachelor of Science in Fire Science
- Associate of Applied Science in Criminal Justice and Criminology
- Associate of Applied Science in Public Safety and Security
- Associate of Applied Science in Fire Science
- Bachelor of Science in Fire and Emergency Management
- BS in Corrections
- B.S. Criminal Justice
- B.S. International Relations and Security - Cybersecurity
- B.S. International Relations and Security - Global Security
- A.S. Criminal Justice
- Master of Science in Information Assurance
- MS in Criminology
- BS in Criminology
- Graduate Certificate in Information Assurance and Cyber Security
- Master of Science in Criminology - Cybercrime and Terrorism Focus
- Master of Science in Criminology - Human Behavior Focus
- Master of Science in Criminology - Leadership Focus
- Master of Science in Information Assurance - Cybersecurity Specialization
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice
- MS in Computer Science - Cyber Security
- BS in Cybersecurity - Information Assurance
- BS in Cybersecurity - Cybercrime and Fraud Investigation
- BS in Cybersecurity - Network Forensics and Intrusion Investigation
- BS in Cybersecurity - Cyber Operations
- Masters in Financial Crime and Compliance Management
- MBA Economic Crime and Fraud Management
- MS Cybersecurity - Intelligence
- MS Cybersecurity - Computer Forensics
- MS Cybersecurity - Cyber Operations
- Bachelor of Science in Cybersecurity
- Bachelor of Science in Fraud and Financial Crime Investigation
- BS in Criminal Justice - Cyber Criminology and Policy
- Computer Forensics Certificate
- Cyber Crime and Fraud Investigation Certificate
- Cyber Network Defense Certificate
- Cyber Operations Certificate
- Cyber Policy Certificate
- Cybersecurity Technologies Certificate
- Financial Crime and Compliance Operations Certificate
- Financial Crime Investigation Certificate
- Master of Professional Studies in Cyber Policy and Risk Analysis
- MBA - Cyber Policy
- MBA - Cybersecurity
- Monitoring, Surveillance, and Intelligence Operations Certificate
- MS in Cybersecurity - Electronic Crime
- MS in Cybersecurity - Malware Analysis
- MS in Data Science: Cybersecurity
- MS in Data Science: Financial Crime
- Online Bachelor of Science in Fraud and Financial Crime Investigation - Financial Investigation
- Online Bachelor of Science in Fraud and Financial Crime Investigation - Fraud Prevention and Detection
- Online Master of Science in Cybersecurity
- Master of Science Criminal Justice Critical Incident Mgt
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice - Corrections
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice - Criminal Investigation
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice - Forensic Science
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice - Legal Studies
- AA in Criminal Justice
- BA in Criminal Justice
- BA in Criminal Justice - Criminalistics Specialization
- BA in Criminal Justice - Homeland Security Specialization
- BS - Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement Administration
- Master - Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement Administration
- CTU - Criminal Forensics