The Keystone State was instrumental in the founding of our nation. It’s the home of the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall. It’s also the home of the very first baseball stadium, automobile service station and is the chocolate capital of the nation. Like other states, PA has its share of crime, and when people go on the run from justice, they’re tracked down and brought in by bounty hunters. If this exciting career sounds right for you, read on to find out how to become a bounty hunter in Pennsylvania.
Find schools and get information on the program that’s
right for you.
(It’s fast and free!)
Becoming a Bounty Hunter in Pennsylvania
Bounty Hunters in Pennsylvania are not regulated by state law, though the state does allow the practice. In order to legally practice as a bounty hunter, you must be employed by a licensed professional bail bondsman and if you wish to carry weapons, must be firearms certified.
Basic State Requirements
- Education: Bounty hunters who wish to carry a firearm in the course of their work must complete firearms training and certification.
- Age: You should be a legal adult of at least 18 years old.
- Degree: No degree is necessary, but earning education in criminal justice or a similar field can be helpful.
- Experience: While not recovered by law, gaining experience working under a mentor can be essential to a successful career.
- Citizenship: You must be legally eligible to work in the United States.
- Background Screening: Applicants wishing to become firearms certified must be fingerprinted and complete a background check, which carries a $27.50 fee.
- Psychological Exam: Firearm certification requires a psychological screening.
Application Process in Pennsylvania
- License Application: There is no license for bounty hunters in PA, but firearms certification carries a $50 fee. Working independently requires becoming a licensed bail bondsman.
Degrees related to Bounty Hunters
Many bounty hunters pursue degrees in areas like criminal justice to improve their skills and knowledge. Other related degrees include law and government, criminal psychology, sociology and forensics.
Major Cities in Pennsylvania
Major Pennsylvania cities where bounty hunters are often encountered include Philadelphia, Pittsburgh and the state capital of Harrisburg.
Specific Duties of Bounty Hunters in Pennsylvania
Bounty hunters are employed by licensed bail bondsmen to perform skip tracing to track down bail jumpers and return them to justice. As such, they have to work in close conjunction with local law enforcement. Bounty hunters should inform law enforcement when they are pursuing a fugitive, and must obey all relevant laws regarding fugitive apprehension.
Bounty hunters operate in a very similar capacity to private investigators, who have many of the same skills and perform closely-related job functions. Court process servers who deal with legal documents are also a related field.
Employment Numbers in Pennsylvania
Employment numbers for PA bounty hunters aren’t tracked by the US Bureau of Labor Statistics. However, the bureau does track numbers for private detectives and the fields are close enough to function as a solid proxy. It is expected that employment openings over the next five years will top 100 openings every year for a rate of 11% improvement.
Salary Ranges in Pennsylvania
Salary figures for private investigators, used in proxy for bounty hunters, are around $48,100 average annually.
Education Programs for Bounty Hunters in Pennsylvania
- Criminal Justice - Bachelor
- M.S. in Criminal Justice: Law Enforcement
- Criminal Justice, MA
- Homeland Security, MA
- Criminal Justice, BA
- Homeland Security, BA
- Homeland Security, AA
- Criminal Justice, AA
- DEM - Emergency Management
- BS - Criminal Justice
- B.S. in Criminal Justice
- B.S. in Human Services / Criminal Justice
- B.S. in Criminal Justice / Law Enforcement
- A.S. in Criminal Justice
- B.S. in Emergency Management & Homeland Security
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice – Public Administration
- Online Teaching in Higher Education
- Doctor of Business Administration (DBA) - Homeland Security
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Emergency Management
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Global Leadership
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Homeland Security Policy and Coordination
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Law and Public Policy
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Public Management and Leadership
- Master of Science (M.S.) in Criminal Justice - Homeland Security Policy and Coordination
- Master of Science (M.S.) in Criminal Justice - Law and Public Policy
- Master of Science (M.S.) in Criminal Justice - Policy Analysis
- Master of Science (M.S.) in Criminal Justice - Terrorism, Mediation, and Peace
- Master of Science (M.S.) in Criminal Justice - Emergency Management
- MS in Criminal Justice - Global Leadership
- DBA - Criminal Justice
- DBA - Homeland Security: Leadership & Policy
- MBA - Criminal Justice
- MBA - Homeland Security
- MPA - Criminal Justice
- BSCJ – Law Enforcement
- BSCJ – Juvenile Justice
- BSCJ – Homeland Security
- BSCJ – Forensic Psychology
- BSCJ – Crime Scene Investigation
- BS in Criminal Justice
- MSCJ - Corrections
- MSCJ - Global Issues in Criminal Justice
- MSCJ - Law
- MSCJ - Leadership/Executive Management
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice
- Master of Science in Homeland Security and Emergency Management
- Bachelor of Science in Fire Science
- Associate of Applied Science in Criminal Justice and Criminology
- Associate of Applied Science in Public Safety and Security
- Associate of Applied Science in Fire Science
- Bachelor of Science in Fire and Emergency Management
- BS in Corrections
- B.S. Criminal Justice
- B.S. International Relations and Security - Cybersecurity
- B.S. International Relations and Security - Global Security
- A.S. Criminal Justice
- Master of Science in Information Assurance
- MS in Criminology
- BS in Criminology
- Graduate Certificate in Information Assurance and Cyber Security
- Master of Science in Criminology - Cybercrime and Terrorism Focus
- Master of Science in Criminology - Human Behavior Focus
- Master of Science in Criminology - Leadership Focus
- Master of Science in Information Assurance - Cybersecurity Specialization
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice
- MS in Computer Science - Cyber Security
- BS in Cybersecurity - Information Assurance
- BS in Cybersecurity - Cybercrime and Fraud Investigation
- BS in Cybersecurity - Network Forensics and Intrusion Investigation
- BS in Cybersecurity - Cyber Operations
- Masters in Financial Crime and Compliance Management
- MBA Economic Crime and Fraud Management
- MS Cybersecurity - Intelligence
- MS Cybersecurity - Computer Forensics
- MS Cybersecurity - Cyber Operations
- Bachelor of Science in Cybersecurity
- Bachelor of Science in Fraud and Financial Crime Investigation
- BS in Criminal Justice - Cyber Criminology and Policy
- Computer Forensics Certificate
- Cyber Crime and Fraud Investigation Certificate
- Cyber Network Defense Certificate
- Cyber Operations Certificate
- Cyber Policy Certificate
- Cybersecurity Technologies Certificate
- Financial Crime and Compliance Operations Certificate
- Financial Crime Investigation Certificate
- Master of Professional Studies in Cyber Policy and Risk Analysis
- MBA - Cyber Policy
- MBA - Cybersecurity
- Monitoring, Surveillance, and Intelligence Operations Certificate
- MS in Cybersecurity - Electronic Crime
- MS in Cybersecurity - Malware Analysis
- MS in Data Science: Cybersecurity
- MS in Data Science: Financial Crime
- Online Bachelor of Science in Fraud and Financial Crime Investigation - Financial Investigation
- Online Bachelor of Science in Fraud and Financial Crime Investigation - Fraud Prevention and Detection
- Online Master of Science in Cybersecurity
- Master of Science Criminal Justice Critical Incident Mgt
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice - Corrections
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice - Criminal Investigation
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice - Forensic Science
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice - Legal Studies
- AA in Criminal Justice
- BA in Criminal Justice
- BA in Criminal Justice - Criminalistics Specialization
- BA in Criminal Justice - Homeland Security Specialization
- BS - Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement Administration
- Master - Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement Administration
- CTU - Criminal Forensics