Rhode Island may be the smallest state in the Union, but it’s one that values freedom and independence as well as law and order. It never ratified the 18th Amendment and was the first state to impose a jail sentence for speeding in an automobile. Occasionally, fugitives fail to appear in court and go on the run from justice. When this happens, bounty hunters track down these fugitives and return them to justice. Learn what it takes to pursue this exciting career in Rhode Island.
Find schools and get information on the program that’s
right for you.
(It’s fast and free!)
Becoming a Bounty Hunter in Rhode Island
While there are no specific laws regulating bounty hunters in Rhode Island it is highly recommended that anyone seeking to pursue this career become a licensed professional bondsman or private investigator. If nothing else, this process will provide valuable training, credentials and knowledge of the bail enforcement process.
Basic State Requirements
- Education: While there is no specific training required, criminal justice education is recommended.
- Age: You will need at minimum to be a legal adult.
- Degree: A degree in criminal justice helps to increase your skills and training.
- Experience: To become a P.I. you must have at least 5 years of experience as a police officer or investigator or have equivalent experience or training. Professional bondsmen are encouraged to work under the guidance of an experienced mentor.
- Citizenship: You must be a legal resident or U.S. Citizen.
- Background Screening: To become a professional bondsman or P.I. you may not have any felony convictions, or have had a private detective license revoked or denied, must not suffer from addiction and must not have been declared incompetent by the courts due to mental disease. This requires a fingerprint background check.
Application Process in Rhode Island
- License Application: You apply for licensure as a Private Investigator through a local authority where you will be working (your town’s clerk’s office). The application fee for licensure is $150.
- Licensure: Your license must be renewed annually, costs $150, and the renewal must be submitted at least 30 days before your license expires.
Degrees Related to Bounty Hunters
Degrees that are often pursued by bounty hunters include criminal justice, law enforcement, forensics, psychology, law and government and sociology.
Major Cities in Rhode Island
Major cities in Rhode Island include Providence (home of horror writer H.P. Lovecraft), Newport, Warwick and Cranston.
Specific Duties of Bounty Hunters in Rhode Island
Duties of bounty hunters in Rhode Island include ensuring that all those under bond are presented to court on their scheduled date. While arrest authority is not expressly granted to bondsmen, it is implied under the Rhode Island code; however, to ensure that you are entirely above board, bounty hunters in this state should always closely work in conjunction with local law enforcement.
Careers that are similar to the professional bondsman include court process servers and private detectives.
Employment Numbers in Rhode Island
Employment numbers for bounty hunters, though not tracked by the BLS, are based on those for private detectives. These indicate that as of 2015, there were 70 working investigators throughout the state.
Salary Ranges in Rhode Island
Salary numbers, also based on PIs, indicate an average annual salary in the state of $46,180.
Education Programs for Bounty Hunters in Rhode Island
- Criminal Justice - Bachelor
- DEM - Emergency Management
- BS - Criminal Justice
- MS - Cybersecurity
- B.S. in Criminal Justice
- B.S. in Human Services / Criminal Justice
- B.S. in Criminal Justice / Law Enforcement
- A.S. in Criminal Justice
- B.S. in Emergency Management & Homeland Security
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice – Public Administration
- Online Teaching in Higher Education
- Doctor of Business Administration (DBA) - Homeland Security
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Emergency Management
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Global Leadership
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Homeland Security Policy and Coordination
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Law and Public Policy
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Public Management and Leadership
- DBA - Criminal Justice
- DBA - Homeland Security: Leadership & Policy
- MBA - Criminal Justice
- MBA - Homeland Security
- A.S. Criminal Justice
- B.S. Criminal Justice
- B.S. International Relations and Security - Cybersecurity
- B.S. International Relations and Security - Global Security
- Master of Science in Information Assurance
- MS in Criminology
- BS in Criminology
- Graduate Certificate in Information Assurance and Cyber Security
- Master of Science in Criminology - Cybercrime and Terrorism Focus
- Master of Science in Criminology - Human Behavior Focus
- Master of Science in Criminology - Leadership Focus
- Master of Science in Information Assurance - Cybersecurity Specialization
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice
- MS in Computer Science - Cyber Security
- BS in Cybersecurity - Information Assurance
- BS in Cybersecurity - Cybercrime and Fraud Investigation
- BS in Cybersecurity - Network Forensics and Intrusion Investigation
- BS in Cybersecurity - Cyber Operations
- Masters in Financial Crime and Compliance Management
- MBA Economic Crime and Fraud Management
- MS Cybersecurity - Intelligence
- MS Cybersecurity - Computer Forensics
- MS Cybersecurity - Cyber Operations
- BS in Criminal Justice - General
- BS in Criminal Justice - Homeland Security
- BS in Criminal Justice - Legal Issues in Criminal Justice
- BS in Criminal Justice - Public Policy and Leadership
- BS in Criminal Justice - White Collar Crime
- Bachelor of Science in Cybersecurity
- Bachelor of Science in Fraud and Financial Crime Investigation
- BS in Criminal Justice - Cyber Criminology and Policy
- Computer Forensics Certificate
- Cyber Crime and Fraud Investigation Certificate
- Cyber Network Defense Certificate
- Cyber Operations Certificate
- Cyber Policy Certificate
- Cybersecurity Technologies Certificate
- Financial Crime and Compliance Operations Certificate
- Financial Crime Investigation Certificate
- Master of Professional Studies in Cyber Policy and Risk Analysis
- MBA - Cyber Policy
- MBA - Cybersecurity
- Monitoring, Surveillance, and Intelligence Operations Certificate
- MS in Cybersecurity - Electronic Crime
- MS in Cybersecurity - Malware Analysis
- MS in Data Science: Cybersecurity
- MS in Data Science: Financial Crime
- Online Bachelor of Science in Fraud and Financial Crime Investigation - Financial Investigation
- Online Bachelor of Science in Fraud and Financial Crime Investigation - Fraud Prevention and Detection
- Online Master of Science in Cybersecurity
- BS - Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement Administration
- Master - Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement Administration
- CTU - Criminal Forensics