The home of Myrtle Beach, the home of the oldest minor league ballpark, and the 8th state to become a part of the Union, as well as the site of the first battle in the Civil War, South Carolina has a long legacy of importance in our nation. When fugitives attempt to escape justice in this state, bounty hunters find them and bring them in. This is an exciting career, and if it appeals to you, here’s everything you need to know about pursuing this path in South Carolina.
Find schools and get information on the program that’s
right for you.
(It’s fast and free!)
Becoming a Bounty Hunter in South Carolina
Bounty Hunters in the state of South Carolina are known as bail bond runners, and may not refer to themselves as bounty hunters. They must be licensed and overseen by the state Department of Insurance and the South Carolina Bail Agents’ Association.
Basic State Requirements
- Education: Runner bondsmen in South Carolina must complete 30 hours of authorized pre-licensing training.
- Age: You must be at least 18 years old.
- Degree: No degree is required, but pursuing a criminal justice education can be very helpful.
- Experience: Experience isn’t required but working under a mentor can build skills as well as a client base.
- Citizenship: You must be eligible for employment in the U.S. and a South Carolina residence.
- Background Screening: An absence of felony convictions and solid moral character are required, and must be established through background screening and fingerprinting.
- Exams: The PSI Professional Bondsman exam is required, which carries a $45 fee and is 60 questions.
Application Process in South Carolina
- License Application: The application fee is $200, and should include fingerprint cards, certification of your pre-licensing, your exam scores and a passport-style photograph.
- Licensure: Your license must be renewed annually, and carries a requirement of eight hours’ continuing education credits.
Degrees related to Bail Bond Runners
Bounty hunters often pursue higher education in the form of a 2- or 4-year degree in forensics, criminology, criminal justice, law enforcement, psychology or a related field.
Major Cities in South Carolina
Major South Carolina cities include Charleston, Columbia, Myrtle Beach, Greenville and Hilton Head, and runners can be found in many of these cities.
Specific Duties of Bail Bond Runners in South Carolina
Bail bond runners work hard and have a dangerous but exciting job of ensuring the safety and security of South Carolina residents by returning fugitives to justice. They must be employed by professional bondsmen, and may not be independent contractors. They have to obey all relevant laws related to fugitive apprehension and must work closely with local law enforcement.
Careers most closely associated with bounty hunters include private investigators, and court process servers.
Employment Numbers in South Carolina
Employment numbers aren’t tracked by the BLS for bail bond runners, but we can use private detective numbers by a close proxy. These project an 11% growth in the job by 2022.
Salary Ranges in South Carolina
Salary numbers as well are based on those for private detectives, which indicate that you can expect to earn on average around $49,290 in the state.
Education Programs for Bounty Hunters in South Carolina
- Criminal Justice - Bachelor
- Criminal Justice, MA
- Homeland Security, MA
- Criminal Justice, BA
- Homeland Security, AA
- Criminal Justice, AA
- Homeland Security, BA
- DEM - Emergency Management
- BS - Criminal Justice
- MS - Cybersecurity
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice – Public Administration
- JM: American Legal Studies
- JM: General
- JM: Health Law
- JM: International Legal Studies
- JM: Special Student (Non-Degree Seeking) - Legal Studies
- LLM: International Legal Studies
- MPA: Law & Public Policy
- MS: Criminal Justice
- MS: Criminal Justice: Forensic Psychology
- MS: Criminal Justice: Homeland Security
- Online Teaching in Higher Education
- Doctor of Business Administration (DBA) - Homeland Security
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Emergency Management
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Global Leadership
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Homeland Security Policy and Coordination
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Law and Public Policy
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Public Management and Leadership
- DBA - Criminal Justice
- DBA - Homeland Security: Leadership & Policy
- MBA - Criminal Justice
- MBA - Homeland Security
- MS in Criminal Justice
- MS in Criminal Justice: Advanced Counterterrorism & Homeland Security concentration
- MS in Criminal Justice: Public Safety Administration concentration
- Associate in Science Criminal Justice
- Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice
- Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice with concentration in Criminology
- Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice with concentration in Homeland Secu
- Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice with concentration in Legal Studies
- Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice with concentration in Police Admini
- BS Criminal Justice w/conc Human Services
- BS Criminal Justice w/conc in Corrections
- Master of Science in Information Assurance
- MS in Criminology
- BS in Criminology
- Graduate Certificate in Information Assurance and Cyber Security
- Master of Science in Criminology - Cybercrime and Terrorism Focus
- Master of Science in Criminology - Human Behavior Focus
- Master of Science in Criminology - Leadership Focus
- Master of Science in Information Assurance - Cybersecurity Specialization
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice
- MS in Computer Science - Cyber Security
- BS in Cybersecurity - Information Assurance
- BS in Cybersecurity - Cybercrime and Fraud Investigation
- BS in Cybersecurity - Network Forensics and Intrusion Investigation
- BS in Cybersecurity - Cyber Operations
- Masters in Financial Crime and Compliance Management
- MBA Economic Crime and Fraud Management
- MS Cybersecurity - Intelligence
- MS Cybersecurity - Computer Forensics
- MS Cybersecurity - Cyber Operations
- Bachelor of Science in Cybersecurity
- Bachelor of Science in Fraud and Financial Crime Investigation
- BS in Criminal Justice - Cyber Criminology and Policy
- Computer Forensics Certificate
- Cyber Crime and Fraud Investigation Certificate
- Cyber Network Defense Certificate
- Cyber Operations Certificate
- Cyber Policy Certificate
- Cybersecurity Technologies Certificate
- Financial Crime and Compliance Operations Certificate
- Financial Crime Investigation Certificate
- Master of Professional Studies in Cyber Policy and Risk Analysis
- MBA - Cyber Policy
- MBA - Cybersecurity
- Monitoring, Surveillance, and Intelligence Operations Certificate
- MS in Cybersecurity - Electronic Crime
- MS in Cybersecurity - Malware Analysis
- MS in Data Science: Cybersecurity
- MS in Data Science: Financial Crime
- Online Bachelor of Science in Fraud and Financial Crime Investigation - Financial Investigation
- Online Bachelor of Science in Fraud and Financial Crime Investigation - Fraud Prevention and Detection
- Online Master of Science in Cybersecurity
- BS in Criminal Justice - General
- BS in Criminal Justice - Homeland Security
- BS in Criminal Justice - Legal Issues in Criminal Justice
- BS in Criminal Justice - Public Policy and Leadership
- BS in Criminal Justice - White Collar Crime
- BS in Criminal Intelligence Analysis
- BS - Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement Administration
- Master - Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement Administration
- CTU - Criminal Forensics